Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cold Brew!

I used to buy coffee extract from Michael Sivitz, but he did not use cold brew extraction. His extract could be added to hot water and make a cup of coffee that closely mimicked the real deal. Added to cream or ice cream, it was pretty darn good. I know this doesn't answer the question...just like to type...

Cold Brew!

Another question, I just made a cold brew batch yesterday. Stored it in the fridge. Just now, I pour 1 part of the cold coffee extract to my glass, 1,5 part of cold water, and about 0,5 of milk on top, some ice cubes...

The question that came to my mind, should I use hot water to mix water with coffee extract ? (To mix it really well).
    Or it is not necessary at all?

(I always make Iced coffee)
    Last edited by SultanBrunei; 01-12-2016 at 06:56 AM.

The coffee extraction, whether done hot or cold, is complete, and the material from which the extraction was done, ie, the coffee grounds, have been removed. Adding hot or cold water would just be a matter of how you prefer to drink your beverage, hot or cold. If you like a hot beverage, there is no reason to use cold brew extract because the cold extraction product is not the same as the product resulting from a hot water extraction. Hope this helps....

Correction: The only reason to use hot water with a cold water extract is because it's a much better instant coffee than instant coffee...just sayin'...
    Last edited by Mr.Peaberry; 01-12-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Cold Brew!

I have made cold brew 3 times, all using french press. When I tasted the finished extract straight without mixing it with water or sugar, I still felt that really bitter taste you usually get from coffees. I can not really feel the 'without acidity' thing everyone is talking about.

Instead, I think this extract bears much resemblance with coffee being made by brewing regular pre-grind coffee inside a press for 5 mins, press it, then just pour it over a coffee filter....

Should I buy a cold drip equipment to make better coffee than the cold brew I usually made with press? Better in terms of smoothness, or less bittery perhaps......?

I would really like a smooth, light tasting coffee, and still have the same heart-beatening potency as regular ones. How do I achieve that? Please help. (Oh, fyi I ALWAYS make iced coffee)
    Last edited by SultanBrunei; 01-15-2016 at 11:01 AM.

We do cold brew at our coffee shop. We use kegs and nitrogen to propel it out of the tap an into cups with ice. This has worked great, however, we started having a problem with the cold brew going sour in our kegs. We have cleaned the lines, professionally, cleaned the kegs, only use distilled water... I just can't figure out why its souring. Do you have any suggestions? I'm completely lost as to why. It stays refrigerated at all times. We do brew it toddy method in a commercial refrigerator and if we keep it in glass containers it seems to stay just fine. Do you think the kegs are reacting with the acidity?
    Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    I used to buy coffee extract from Michael Sivitz, but he did not use cold brew extraction. His extract could be added to hot water and make a cup of coffee that closely mimicked the real deal. Added to cream or ice cream, it was pretty darn good. I know this doesn't answer the question...just like to type...
    If I am not mistaken this is the patent he had for that extract: Patent US3830940 - Preparation of aqueous beverage concentrate of coffee - Google Patents

Len
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." ~Flash Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeroastersclub View Post
    If I am not mistaken this is the patent he had for that extract: Patent US3830940 - Preparation of aqueous beverage concentrate of coffee - Google Patents

Len
    Holy Crap Len....I never thought to look for a patent. I don't know why he would have filed one as I didn't think he ever sold the extraction equipment...you know, for the same reason Coca Cola never filed for their recipe, once the cat is out of the bag, then everyone knows your secret. Anyway...I have a real interest in producing coffee extract but kinda felt like it was easier to first learn how to roast and then take it from there. OMG...thank you thank you thank you....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    Holy Crap Len....I never thought to look for a patent. I don't know why he would have filed one as I didn't think he ever sold the extraction equipment...you know, for the same reason Coca Cola never filed for their recipe, once the cat is out of the bag, then everyone knows your secret. Anyway...I have a real interest in producing coffee extract but kinda felt like it was easier to first learn how to roast and then take it from there. OMG...thank you thank you thank you....lol!
    Maybe he thought it would be a huge seller and was afraid of copycats. Or maybe he did it just to see if he could. It is a bid odd to go through all that patent trouble and not mass market it afterward.

Len
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." ~Flash Rosenberg

I may be wrong, but I believe Michael Sivitz invented the fluid bed roaster. He licensed his patent to companies like Nestle. I'm sure he did the same with this. He was very instrumental in the development of soluble coffee, i.e. instant.

Instead of mixing 100 gr coffee beans (grounded) : 700ml water, and having a cold brew coffee concentrate later you can mix with water/ice. How about if I make, for example, 100gr coffee beans (grounded) to 1400ml water, and then later having ready to drink coffee (no need to mix with water) and just maybe mix it with milk...?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links