Cold Brew!

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys so a few questions regarding cold brew coffee;

How do you guys prepare your cold brew coffee (step by step and pictures would be awesome!)?
How does Stumptown produce the amount of cold brew they do (going off the Los Angeles location, they have it on tap, bottles, and 64oz jugs)?
Any cool homemade cold brew devices on here?
And what is your normal coffee to water ratio with the final product (mention what strength you’re going for and type of coffee you use for that measurement)

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
typically, you add 9 cup of water on 1 pound of coffee. That is cold brew concentrate. That is depends on how you are going to presented to your customer.
I then add 3 cups of water per one cup of concentrate.
You really don't need a brewer but you can buy Toddy cold brew system on ebay.
I just use cheese cloth to wrap my coffee ground and brew over night.
That is the way I do it.

If you want to be sophisticated system, here are some cool stuff.

Cold Brew Coffee Maker Iced Coffee Home Cold Drip Coffee Dutch Q Made in Korea | eBay

Yama Glass Cold Drip Coffee Maker New MSRP $445 | eBay

Zevro IAB109 Incred 'A Brew Direct Immersion Brewing System for Coffee | eBay

Good luck

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
icedcoffees.jpgour cold brew from a stout tap

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
Stumptown uses kegs as it stays fresher longer and is easy to transport and serve. They also bottle it, for sure in 10 oz, but not sure about other sizes (prob 32 oz growler type sizes too). Their recipe is here (supposedly): Make Your Own Cold Brew At Home - Stumptown Coffee Roasters

There are as many different ways to brew cold as there are hot brew methods. Something as simple as cheese-cloth in a bucket to a dripping tower thing made of glass (sorry I forgot the name for it) that looks like a chemistry set.

Most cold brew recipes suggest a 1:2 ratio of coffee concentrate to water/ice using ~6 grams of coffee per ounce of water. Just keep that ratio and go for it. It prob varies depending on the roast level but you should play around with it, and go with what tastes best.

Hey guys so a few questions regarding cold brew coffee;

How do you guys prepare your cold brew coffee (step by step and pictures would be awesome!)?
How does Stumptown produce the amount of cold brew they do (going off the Los Angeles location, they have it on tap, bottles, and 64oz jugs)?
Any cool homemade cold brew devices on here?
And what is your normal coffee to water ratio with the final product (mention what strength you’re going for and type of coffee you use for that measurement)

SultanBrunei

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Is it better to store the cold brew concentrate in the fridge, or just store it in a cabinet in a mason jar ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
A fridge would be better as far as the coffee not being diluted when the ice melts. I doubt that the flavor would be different if kept at room temps, and don't think the concentrate will go bad either, but would suggest keeping it cold to be sure.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I used to buy coffee extract from Michael Sivitz, but he did not use cold brew extraction. His extract could be added to hot water and make a cup of coffee that closely mimicked the real deal. Added to cream or ice cream, it was pretty darn good. I know this doesn't answer the question...just like to type...

SultanBrunei

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Another question, I just made a cold brew batch yesterday. Stored it in the fridge. Just now, I pour 1 part of the cold coffee extract to my glass, 1,5 part of cold water, and about 0,5 of milk on top, some ice cubes...

The question that came to my mind, should I use hot water to mix water with coffee extract ? (To mix it really well).
Or it is not necessary at all?

(I always make Iced coffee)

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The coffee extraction, whether done hot or cold, is complete, and the material from which the extraction was done, ie, the coffee grounds, have been removed. Adding hot or cold water would just be a matter of how you prefer to drink your beverage, hot or cold. If you like a hot beverage, there is no reason to use cold brew extract because the cold extraction product is not the same as the product resulting from a hot water extraction. Hope this helps....

Correction: The only reason to use hot water with a cold water extract is because it's a much better instant coffee than instant coffee...just sayin'...

Last edited:

SultanBrunei

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I have made cold brew 3 times, all using french press. When I tasted the finished extract straight without mixing it with water or sugar, I still felt that really bitter taste you usually get from coffees. I can not really feel the 'without acidity' thing everyone is talking about.

Instead, I think this extract bears much resemblance with coffee being made by brewing regular pre-grind coffee inside a press for 5 mins, press it, then just pour it over a coffee filter....

Should I buy a cold drip equipment to make better coffee than the cold brew I usually made with press? Better in terms of smoothness, or less bittery perhaps......?

I would really like a smooth, light tasting coffee, and still have the same heart-beatening potency as regular ones. How do I achieve that? Please help. (Oh, fyi I ALWAYS make iced coffee)

Last edited:

Jenn

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
We do cold brew at our coffee shop. We use kegs and nitrogen to propel it out of the tap an into cups with ice. This has worked great, however, we started having a problem with the cold brew going sour in our kegs. We have cleaned the lines, professionally, cleaned the kegs, only use distilled water... I just can't figure out why its souring. Do you have any suggestions? I'm completely lost as to why. It stays refrigerated at all times. We do brew it toddy method in a commercial refrigerator and if we keep it in glass containers it seems to stay just fine. Do you think the kegs are reacting with the acidity?
Help! :)