Adding milk to Americanos

coffeeguys

Feb 17, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Whats your take on putting milk in americanos? I have been looked down on at some more "refined" coffee shops for doing this!

I get that if you like milk with your espresso, a latte would seem like the way to go. And I do like lattes, but I also like my americanos with milk in them!!

I demand rights! :eek:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The Americano starts out as an espresso, then hot water is added to make it similar to regular drip coffee. Millions of people add milk to their coffee. There is nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure what you mean when you describe some coffee shops as "refined" (snobish?). If they were totally "refined," they wouldn't be making Americano's in the first place.

Last edited:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
how's that commercial go??? " have it your way!" We have some coffee snob shops here that will not serve your drink in anything but porcelain cups. Don't even think about getting an espresso to go!!

SingleMaltKaffe

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
When ordering/drinking Caffè Americano it'll be straight black with no room. Simply as the others commented on, drink it the way one prefers to drink their Americano whether it be with milk/cream/soy/etc.

Enjoy! :coffee:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Whats your take on putting milk in americanos? I have been looked down on at some more "refined" coffee shops for doing this!

I get that if you like milk with your espresso, a latte would seem like the way to go. And I do like lattes, but I also like my americanos with milk in them!!

You got your rights for sure. Just curious. How much milk do you add? If it is quite a bit, do you froth it first to keep the coffee drink warm?
Because an Americano would be adding hot water. I agree with above comments.
I try a number of different ways to prepare coffee, when I am near an espresso machine. As they say, "whatever floats your boat!"

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
Try to make sure the Barista adds hot water (this is usually from the pressurised main boiler and very hot) to the cup first when making an Americano coffee, this reduces the temperature by several degrees as the cup is always cooler. Espresso then added afterwards and the oils float back to the top. It looks better and the aroma from the crema is better too. Get it right and the customer should question if it is a black coffee as it will look like a white one...
Doing it the other way around means that the crema of the espresso is hit by the hot water and this has a detrimental effect on the oils - "coffee boiled is coffee spoiled" - definitely the wrong way.
If you like milk or cream added to an Americano then go for it, don't let some poncy Barista tell you how you like your drinks!

nacho

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
The internet is absolutely amazing. I was just having the same concern. There's even a healthy discussion about it. Love it. I'll keep adding a drop of milk to my americanos. Because that's just how I like it. Thanks for your encouragement.

teacoffee

Jul 6, 2017
Delhi
Visit site
milk in coffee

Actually it depends person to person taste but i m adding a small amount of milk

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, Italians do not drink cappuccinos after noon and never after a meal. They believe milk disturbs digestion.

I love the idea of adding espresso to water for an Americano. No one does that around me.

And I also agree with PinkRose. The idea of watering down espresso is silly at best.

If you want American style coffee, a good batch brewer is best, as long as it's turned over every 1/2 hour. I'm opening a coffee bar soon and spent the past 2 days modifying and dialing in my Fetco 2052 to brew into smaller 2-3L pots. I make a pretty mean pourover and my espresso makes a great Americano, bit neither beats what this Fetco can produce for American drip coffee.

Last edited: