Espresso to milk ratio

cnazario

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
My husband are owners of a coffee shop and will be opening around the beginning of November. I have been studying the various types of coffee drinks, but how do you know how much milk to use? We will have 12, 16 and 20 oz cups. I don't want to stand there with a measuring cup. We will start to practice this week. I am a true novice!

cnazario

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Lattes, mochas....I am guessing it's more of an "eye" thing. When we start this next week after the machines get serviced, it will help being hands-on! Our opening is not until the 9th of November. This is the first time we have ever owned a business and I am petrified.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hire a barista...that's about the only thing I can suggest. Unless your customers are extremely forgiving, you may be sabotaging the things you do well by trying to serve espresso drinks with no prior experience. As an example, would you consider opening a bar having never been a bartender? Being petrified comes from fear, fear of the unknown. You need to take charge and be accountable for the success of the business. If you didn't budget for a barista, figure out how you can hire one. If you absolutely cannot afford to hire a barista, then while you are getting up to speed on making the drinks, just be up front with your customers. Fortunaltely, the coffee drinking public, for the most part, is not very critical of the coffee drinks they are sold; proven daily by the success of Starbucks.

cnazario

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Mr. Peaberry- I would love to hire a barista, we actually do have someone to help us in exchange for drink cards and we do plan to hire one. It's a long story how we obtained this business, but in a nutshell, the owner of the building has a good relationship with my husband and since the prior owner was friends with the owner decided to turn back the shop due to long distance travel, etc, she thought my husband would be perfect for the spot. We weren't looking to do this and thought it would be a great opportunity. We have been studying a lot and since we live in a small town with no mall and a few known stores, most people around here would be forgiving. Thank you for your input!