Coffee Syrup

cnazario

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but we are making our drink menu and the order is as follows: Espresso drinks, (espresso ristretto, espresso dopio, americano, etc) then our milk based drinks (latte, latte Macchiato, macchiato, cappuccino and mocha), how much would you charge for pumps of syrup for flavor in the milk-based drinks? We are just starting, so I don't want a complicated drink menu. I typically see extra charges for shots and whip cream.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
how much would you charge for pumps of syrup for flavor in the milk-based drinks? We are just starting, so I don't want a complicated drink menu. I typically see extra charges for shots and whip cream.

In most of the cafes where I've worked, the extra charge is 50¢ for a (one ounce) shot of flavored syrup, including chocolate. It keeps things simple.

Whipped cream is automatically calculated into the drink cost, and it isn't automatically put on the drink without asking the customers if they want it. If the customers want it, that's okay, and if they don't, that's even better.

I guess you could charge 50¢ for the whipped cream, too, and see how it goes.

Rose

Last edited:

cnazario

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
We went and spied out a few shops today and looked at their prices. I like simplicity, especially when starting. We probably will charge extra for whip cream as well, since it usually is a requested item. Thanks!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
We make our own flavors and give it away free. We sell tons...TONS of iced coffee and people like adding the syrup since sugar doesn't break down completely in iced coffee. I think we offer something like 6 flavors.

BLCoffee

Nov 1, 2015
Minnesota
Visit site
I think it depends on how much you are charging for the base beverage. I've seen two strategies that both work:

1) offer a relatively low price for the milk-drinks, but charge for extras (like syrup)
2) charge a higher premium for the drink, but offer free flavor shots

My recommendation is to start with #1, and if you find a very high percentage of customers are adding shots, then go to #2. "Free" is a powerful word, and customers will often overlook a high base price if there are "free" options.

Good luck!