Coffee with or without sugar?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As I do my best to always avoid bad coffee, without.

Properly sourced, roasted, and brewed coffee does not contain any off flavors, undue bitterness or sourness. The idea of adding sugar (or milk) to coffee is born out of most of us growing up with bad, bad coffee. When you have it, you'll know it. With bad coffee, things are needed to make it palatable; and with good coffee, all you are doing is destroying the varietal characteristics of that coffee. You never improve or enhance the coffee by adding to it.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think you meant that you detest coffee with sugar in it. I like coffee with milk and sugar. However, having black coffee without sugar is better.

I do detest coffee with sugar in it...this is true; howevcr, my response was in answer to the question as if it were actually two questions: "How do you like coffee with sugar?", and "How do you like coffee without sugar?" How I like coffee with sugar is leaving my mouth the way it came in, and I have to say this is based on occationally picking up a plain white styrofoam cup belonging to someone else only to discover the mistake when I realize that I have a mouthful of sugar/coffee. But, you are correct, the answer to the question that you actually asked is that I detest coffee with sugar. No offense intended.

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
I do detest coffee with sugar in it...this is true; howevcr, my response was in answer to the question as if it were actually two questions: "How do you like coffee with sugar?", and "How do you like coffee without sugar?" How I like coffee with sugar is leaving my mouth the way it came in, and I have to say this is based on occationally picking up a plain white styrofoam cup belonging to someone else only to discover the mistake when I realize that I have a mouthful of sugar/coffee. But, you are correct, the answer to the question that you actually asked is that I detest coffee with sugar. No offense intended.

None taken... 8) I have friends who hate when coffee is served to them that contains milk and sugar. They literally hate it. When they see me sipping coffee with sugar and milk they make faces. It is a matter of personal taste. However, there are many people in this world who prefer coffee without sugar, that's what I have found with the little survey.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to wonder why there is always such a debate about his topic.

Every person is entitled to drink their coffee however they want it.

In my opinion, and despite that I seem to fall into this category, this is kind of like a coffee lover's pissing contest...a 'who loves coffee the most' proposition. My own father would cringe that I put cream in my coffee. In his opinion, anything added is an abomination of the bean. I have to love it though, he is the one who fueled my own passion for good coffee.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I really don't think there is any debate. I doubt we are really comparing apples to apples.

Coffee that contains bitterness and off flavors due to bad sourcing, improper roasting, or staling generally needs sugar and or milk to be palatable to the average person. And some see it as a "manly" badge to drink "dark and bitter" black coffee, and that's fine, but coffee that happens to be black and coffee that does not need cream and/or sugar are two different things. Apples and oranges.

It's not a "I love coffee more" or he/she is "a coffee snob". Ridiculous notions. Some people just are drinking better coffees. Those who doubt really haven't had good coffee yet. If you had, there would be no question.

My three cents.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'd definitely agree with John P... I've served many people my own coffee who ask for cream or sugar, only because that's how they've had to drink their coffee. I'll say you can put whatever you want in your coffee, but please try it black first, and to a man, they've finished it black and to their amazement they enjoyed it.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
if you ever had traditional Vietnamese coffee, you will realize how much sugar & cream they put on the coffee.
probably, more than any other coffee drinks in the world.
I think that the type of coffee (from Vietnam) they use got something to do with it. :decaf:

Have you ever known anyone who is used to using A-1 steak sauce on their steak? And they use it on a nice Porter House or Filet? OMG...it's like the same thing we're talking about in a way...just sayin'...