Cold Brew Container

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I would like to start cold brewing my coffee for the farmers market crowd. Any suggestions for a good container to use for cold brew in larger quantities? I guess glass is the best material. Maybe the growlers that they sell for beer?

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I would like to start cold brewing my coffee for the farmers market crowd. Any suggestions for a good container to use for cold brew in larger quantities? I guess glass is the best material. Maybe the growlers that they sell for beer?

Check out Toddy, very simple setup. We do a nitro cold brew at our events from a 5 gal corny keg.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Thanks nv,
I used Toddy for my own use a number of years ago and really liked it. I don't see a larger commercial model on their web site. Am I missing something?

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I think theirs is like a 3 gallon commercial system. You can always go ahead and buy a large pot with a lid, dispenser, and a filter/mesh strainer, and let it steep in their. Just need to make sure that if the strainer is open at the top that the water level is below the top of the strainer. I have also used teabags and put coffee in there.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Thanks, nv. I am looking at the commercial Toddy and also at just doing it myself. I like the look of their commercial model now that I found it, but not sure I want to tie myself into purchasing all of their products.

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Bardo, that is one of the only downsides. But if you find a teabag that is large enough you will be able to put the coffee into there. It's a very simple dispensing unit and you can choose to either dispense directly from there or from another container.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I am thinking a five gallon food safe bucket with a spigot installed at the bottom. And a nylon bag of some sort as you describe. I can filter the coffee a couple of times before serving if need be. Thoughts? That is a total investment of about 20 bucks.

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
As long as the bag is able to contain the coffee grounds I don't think you'll have any problem in terms of having to filter it multiple times.

Just be sure to get a large container. Once you add coffee and the water it requires a lot more volume than that yields.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
you mean a large bag for the coffee? Or the container for the brew? Not sure of the right coffee to water ratio for the concentrate. I don't think I would brew the whole 5 gallons to start.

nv305

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Bardo, the actual container - you want to make sure you have have enough space for the water and coffee. For example, I use a 10 gallon container and I mix my coffee and water (5 gallons) in there. I am left with about 2-3 gallons of space available.