What is the best water to use for espresso?

daka

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Long time on the M/B......... I'm a lurker, but getting back into Espresso/Cappuccino...(decaffeinated)
I've been wondering, what is the best water to use for espresso?
Filtered tap water, bottled water distilled water ph index
Is less TDS water (total dissolved solids) better? (%)?

Last edited:

daka

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
I have been drinking NIAGRA bottled water...(Loews by the case) it has very little TDS as per my tester, good for coffee?

Shyla

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Long time on the M/B......... I'm a lurker, but getting back into Espresso/Cappuccino...(decaffeinated)
I've been wondering, what is the best water to use for espresso?
Filtered tap water, bottled water distilled water ph index
Is less TDS water (total dissolved solids) better? (%)?

@daka
When you prepare coffee or espresso, you need to be conscious of the mineral content in the water that you are using. Since the preparation of (American) coffee and espresso are predicated on very different extraction techniques, the "best" water is different for coffee than it is for espresso

gigacoffee

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
@daka
When you prepare coffee or espresso, you need to be conscious of the mineral content in the water that you are using. Since the preparation of (American) coffee and espresso are predicated on very different extraction techniques, the "best" water is different for coffee than it is for espresso

In addition to that I'd like to add that the temperature of the water is important as well. Try 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction.

Last edited:

Daniel96

Feb 14, 2019
Sydney
Visit site
Really cool question! My friend is a tea master. He told me that water itself changes the taste of tea.

After that, I decided to experiment with my favorite drink at home and the result was really interesting! The taste has changed and it really surprised me. Used spring water and from the filter as usual.