Luwak "poop" coffee in Bali... anyone tried it?

Hi!
    I just watched the movie "The Bucket List", and they were talking about this coffee. It got my interested. Apparently it is the most expensive coffee in the world?! And I've never heard of it until now. LOL. Has anyone tried it? If so, is it worth the price tag?

This coffee apparently:
    https://youtu.be/4HhnFPDL4uc
    Last edited by PinkRose; 08-25-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Tried to correct the URL to the video

Kopi Luwak, not without problems

IMHO it's not the greatest coffee at all. It's probably the yuck factor driving the price.
    Because of the high price, the poor animals are put in cages and get only the coffee cherries to eat.
    They are living in very deplorable circumstances.
    Some of the Kopi Luwak is collected from wild animals, which will be much more expensive, of course.
    If you want to read more about that, I did a detailed post also with images including a picture of the civet which is often falsely referred to as a cat:

https://coffeewithoutlimits.com/kopi-luwak-anyone-just-80-cup/
    Last edited by Manuel; 09-09-2018 at 02:48 AM.

I tried it a few months ago for the first time... tasted like dirty dish water... wasn't impressed. I could consider it one of the worst cups of coffee I've had outside of a gas station.

I have tried the monkey/cat poop from both Indonesia and from the Phillipines. I too was not impressed.

This poop thing is getting ridiculous..........the most expensive coffee now is supposedly from elephant poop.

Next gimmick they try will be putting butter in your coffee.....oh wait

We have some Wild Kopi on offer and we cupped it not long ago. The coffee is very clean and interesting. I would not call it the best coffee in the world BUT it sure is very expensive. We believe it to be from wild civets via our exporters and certifications otherwise we would not have purchased. It is definitely worth trying and obviously something to speak of if you do. It has an aura to it and the original aspect of how it started is neat.

Take a look (Some info as well):
    https://armeniacoffee.com/coffee-offerings/

Kopi Luwak first earned it's place at the top of the coffee supply chain when the phrase "specialty coffee" did not exist. Compared to what was generally available, it was good. The ascent to mythology was a result of Japanese epicurean biases towards the unusual. I believe that until relatively recently, the Japanese imported the majority of Kopi Luwak, but the real boom is driven in general by consumer ignorance of coffee, and a now worldwide desire to explore the unusual and bizarre cuisine from around the world. Third world countries are cashing in the boom at the expense of the ethical treatment of the civet (the animal frequently referred to as a cat or monkey), and animal rights activists are fighting a frustrating battle to reign in the abuse.

I have had some, and found it to be somewhat bland. For some, the lack of an acerbic acid bite found in most poorer quality coffee is what defines "good" coffee. That is not me...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    IMHO it's not the greatest coffee at all. It's probably the yuck factor driving the price.
    Because of the high price, the poor animals are put in cages and get only the coffee cherries to eat.
    They are living in very deplorable circumstances.
    Some of the Kopi Luwak is collected from wild animals, which will be much more expensive, of course.
    If you want to read more about that, I did a detailed post also with images. You can find it when you google for:
    "kopi luwak anyone just $80 a cup".
    Sorry I am new here and can't yet post the link here.
    If we stop eating the god damn poop coffee all together we can stop this madness for sure. Animals need to be in the wild, not in cages eating coffee beans only. What a cruel world we are turning this place to be.
    You may not be able to control the wind, but you can always find products you can't refuse. Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. The truth is out there? Does anyone know the URL?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links