Coffee drink for someone who hates coffee...

Bazsl

Dec 30, 2018
Visit site
One of my doctors strongly advised me to drink one cup of coffee each morning. Unfortunately I hate the taste of coffee. What I need is a flavored coffee for my wife's Keurig that tastes as little like coffee as possible and is low calorie and reasonably low fat.

So far the best I have found is carmel flavored made with six ounces of water to which I add three ounces of half and half and three scoops of stivia. It is easier to drink if I put it in the freezer until it is cold so I can hold my breath and drink it quickly. I would really like to find something that more completely masks the taste of the coffee. Any suggestions? Thanks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
One of my doctors strongly advised me to drink one cup of coffee each morning. Unfortunately I hate the taste of coffee. What I need is a flavored coffee for my wife's Keurig that tastes as little like coffee as possible and is low calorie and reasonably low fat.

So far the best I have found is carmel flavored made with six ounces of water to which I add three ounces of half and half and three scoops of stivia. It is easier to drink if I put it in the freezer until it is cold so I can hold my breath and drink it quickly. I would really like to find something that more completely masks the taste of the coffee. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello Bazsl,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Did your doctor tell you why he was strongly advising you to drink one cup of coffee each morning? I can't imagine why your doctor told you to drink coffee, especially if you don't like it.

You can gradually get used to the taste of coffee if you gradually add it to something that you already like, such as hot chocolate. It will take a few days, but you will get used to the coffee taste and you'll eventually be okay with it.

Adding three ounces of half and half to caramel flavored coffee will make it taste better, but it won't cut down on the fat content.

One way to bi-pass some of your taste buds when you're drinking the cold coffee is to use a straw. If you place the straw at the back of your tongue and sip the coffee, you will taste it less as it goes down.

~ Rose

green_sparrow

Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, USA
Visit site
Did your doctor tell you why he was strongly advising you to drink one cup of coffee each morning? I can't imagine why your doctor told you to drink coffee, especially if you don't like it.
Sorry to interrupt, but maybe he need this to increase the blood pressure? A friend of mine (with hypotension) got similar recommendations from her doctor.

gigacoffee

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
While I'm personally not a fan a good way to learn to drink coffee is Starbucks. Honestly most of their drinks are coffee flavored sugar drinks... basically every like it. Just make sure to transition to real (black) coffee, much healthier and tastier!

LucasG

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
Hey Bazsl, when I was younger and barely started drinking coffee I had a similar issue. What I did is look at options such as a chocolate coffee "mokaccino". I love it but I still prefer now a simple black coffee.

ApexEspresso

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
Hello!

For someone who doesn't like coffee that much, you might want to try a cold brew! It is coffee, but it has more of a refreshing taste.
French presses are pretty cheep and can be used to make cold brew. I am a coffee blogger and recently wrote on how you can use a french press to make cold brew.
You might check it out!

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

JacksonTaft

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site
I agree with Apex, cold brew is a less harsh way to brew coffee and it can come through incredibly smooth. Another option is look for lighter roasts, darker roasts tend to taste bitter and burt as well as mask the real flavor profiles or the coffee bean which can be delicous!

fns4565

Jul 11, 2019
Visit site
An interesting topic!
Incidentally, my [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)] [/COLOR]co-worker goes to sleep as soon as she drinks coffee.
Hence, she hates coffee.

ali.rafami

Jan 1, 2018
Bucharest
Visit site
I have great way for you to make some excellent sweet iced coffee fast.

Buy a Nestle La Lechera, sweetened condensed milk. It will be enough for several drinks. Brew half a mug of strong coffee, stir a tablespoon or so of this stuff into your coffee (it is very sweet and concentrated) add milk until the mug is three quarters full and fill it rest of the way with ice. Stir everything well.

You’ll be pleasantly surprised. The sweetened condensed milk will impart sort of a caramel flavor to the drink. I think it tastes better the colder it gets.

Very inexpensive, And somehow it's similar to Starbucks taste

j_monika

Oct 15, 2019
USA
Visit site
probably she is drinking decaf and another probability is that someone in the company is putting some sleeping pills into that decaf as a practical joke.
conclusion : they need a hidden camera right above the coffee counter, ha ha ha

I heard once that in some people, coffee can stimulate the part of them that wants to sleep, thus making them sleepier. I'm sure when the doctor described it it was much more scientific and lucid than that, but that's the message I took from it.
I sometimes wonder whether one can develop a dependence on caffeine which means they are intrinsically more tired all the time, and drinking coffee just brings them back to a "normal" level of background tiredness. I think that is a major component of caffeine addiction.

Back to the topic, I believe it's the caffeine that the person you've mentioned needs, for raising blood pressure. So... green tea maybe?

Erica_L

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
Did the doctor recommend drinking coffee? The first time I hear this, either you have a specific illness or the doctor has a specific diploma of education.
The same thought... It's probably related to low pressure issues. The topic but I would recommend drinking Puer, which exhibits properties of the coffee because of how the leafs were processed.