Hazelnut in Home Made Cold Brew ???

JavaFlame

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone new here, I currently make my own Cold Brew at home using a nut milk bag and grinding my own whole beans and soaking them in water for 12-24 hours. However I was looking to spice up my flavor profile by adding hazelnuts.

I was wondering would it be safe/effective to buy my own hazelnuts from the store and grind them up and just throw them in with my ground coffee and let them brew together in the fridge for 12-24 hours?? Or would that not be an effective/ safe way to get the hazelnut flavor in my cold brew? Look forward to some help new to the coffee home brewing world!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I've only infused Cold Brew with vanilla so no experience with hazelnuts... I would make sure they are roasted (or pan roast them) before infusion. It may be more efficient to simply buy an extract or a syrup. Syrup's although have added sugar.

JavaFlame

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
I've only infused Cold Brew with vanilla so no experience with hazelnuts... I would make sure they are roasted (or pan roast them) before infusion. It may be more efficient to simply buy an extract or a syrup. Syrup's although have added sugar.

Thanks for for the quick reply! I am trying to go the most natural and fresh route as much as possible so I wanna try and avoid syrups and extracts. But definetly will look into roasting them and infusing them just don’t want them to loose any flavor so I get the maximum flavor infusion. Who would’ve thought there was so much involved in the coffe world!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
JavaFlame...there is so much to the coffee world! People really have no idea! What I have found is that syrups work best for flavoring cold brew. The problem is getting much flavor from the nuts into the coffee. I mean you can try but the flavor will be faint. Let us know how it comes out.