Do you put whipped cream on hot cappuccinos or lattes?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm curious. When you go to a coffee shop, do you ask for whipped cream on top of your hot cappuccinos or lattes? Does the barista ask you if you want whipped cream?

I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to have whipped cream put on top of their espresso drinks, especially when the coffee is topped with a creamy milk foam or froth.

Personally, when I'm making a coffee drink for a customer, I don't ask them if they want whipped cream on top. But, some people seem to automatically expect it to be there when I hand them their coffee, and they act like I'm shortchanging them. It's annoying to have to take it back to add the whipped cream. I don't have a problem putting whipped cream on the iced cappuccinos, mochas, and lattes.....but it really bothers me to have to put it on the hot drinks (except hot chocolate). It just doesn't feel right.

~ Rose

Latenightc

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
No I would never dream of getting whipped cream on top. I do order cappuccino often when I go to a shop I have never been to before. I definitely agree with, why would you need it on top of the foam.

SnowBall

Jun 6, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

The barista always asks if I'd like whipped cream with my hot latte or cappuccinos, however, I prefer to drink it without whipped cream. I like it better when whipped creams are in frappes.

There is an italian recipe with whipped cream: espresso panna. Just an espresso (1oz or 30ml) and whipped cream.

But when I make a cappuccino or a latte, I prefer follow the traditional recipe: an espresso and steamed milk, always making latte art. Nobody could ask me to pouring some whipped cream on a cute heart or tulip.

choco_late_

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
As someone that swears by iced coffee this OP has upset me! I’m not a fan of caffeine, I hate the comedowns you experience in the day that feel like your brain has been totally zapped. I do however enjoy the taste of coffee and iced tea gives you a refreshing boost first thing in a morning.
I tend to spice things up by adding no calorie sweetener and blasting it with some
mosa cream chargers. I understand this isn’t for everyone but I adore it!

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
My wife likes her Strarbucks decaf mocha latte. It comes with whipped cream. So when I make her one at home I will put a blast of whipped cream on top. I don't put whipped cream on my own coffee however. I simply heat and froth some skim milk and mix it with my french press or moka pot brew.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
My wife likes her Strarbucks decaf mocha latte. It comes with whipped cream. So when I make her one at home I will put a blast of whipped cream on top. I don't put whipped cream on my own coffee however. I simply heat and froth some skim milk and mix it with my french press or moka pot brew.

When you heat and froth skim milk, it becomes a bit sweeter, which to me is just as pleasant as using whipped cream, without the extra fat and calories.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
When you heat and froth skim milk, it becomes a bit sweeter, which to me is just as pleasant as using whipped cream only with less fat and calories.

I agree. I use a themometer and heat the milk on the stove to no more than 145 degrees F. Apparently the chemical composition of the milk changes permanently at 149 degrees F. So, yes, to sweeter milk. I then use a manual frother to pump up the volume a bit. Let it sit before pouring so I have some liquid. Not good for latte art but then I'm not really one to care about pretty pictures in my coffee. I just care how it tastes.