Blog on Kyoto Style Cold Brew

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Mold wouldn't be an issue short term but bacteria certainly could be after a few days... a Kyoto dripper IMO makes the best 'cold brewed' coffee. But - its consumption after brewing... I don't let it sit around.

ToddAlanWoodcraft

Aug 2, 2019
Visit site
Mold and Bacteria

Well, if it takes hours to drip, I'm afraid mold/bacteria may start to grow. So do I need to boil it afterwards to kill bacteria?

No, the mold and bacteria will not be a problem if once it is done dripping (4 to 24 hours) you then put the bottom craft into a refrigerator. If you leave the craft out after the dripping has finished- then that could be a problem. You always want to clean the glass parts after every use.

Heating the cold brew would destroy the antioxidants and change the taste. Cold brew has less acid than hot coffee.

ToddAlanWoodcraft

Aug 2, 2019
Visit site
Don't leave out the coffee

bit of mold & bacteria will not be a problem for most of us.
yesterday, at Panajachel (staying here for 3 days), I had a huge snail soup. and of course, I ate that darn thing... ha ha ha

OK Snail soup would be a problem for us here. I'm OK with eating frog, alligator, but have never been able to get past those, my limit- but food is for another time and another forum. :exclamation: LOL

Yes, leaving out coffee for days on end is no good for anyone. I'm not a scientist- I'm going off of what we've done practice wise and experience given to me from other Baristas. These are just ideas to try. But a 4 to a very maximum 24 hour brewing time (<--as long as its still actively dripping) with refrigeration immediately after in a sealed container or craft has been no problem for us.

We've never had an issue when using clean glass and water- in fact the few barista's who I've talked to have never had an issue with cold brew concentrate. The magic number for great cold brew is 6 to 12 hours. Like I said in a past post, we set our drip rate on the drippers for a 6 to 8 hour drip rate to completely empty the icewater from the top craft- then refrigerate once the drops have slowed.

Of course with cold brew, it tastes better the day after brewing & refrigeration. It needs to rest overnight in the fridge for a good robust flavor.
The amount we make, and with people stopping by our woodshop for a cup of coffee- we go through a gallon in 4 days.