Making espresso with regular coffee maker?

wallisj

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Assuming you're talking about a drip machine then i'm afraid its physically impossible.

Espresso by definition is not brewed, its extracted under pressure.

Expresso is generated by subjecting finely ground coffee to approx 9 BAR(9 x the normal atmospheric pressure) of pressure. It takes around 25 seconds to produce approx 2oz of espresso. A drip brewer just dribbles water onto coffee which soaks through the coffee and gets imparted with some coffee oils and flavours.

Hope this helps

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You can do it, but you really can't call it espresso. It’s more of a dark coffee with some highlights of espresso. I have had clients do it when there machine breaks and they are only interested in making frappes. It is only done to help with the loss of profit for that day.

wallisj

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, ok i was talking in general terms...still a very different drink from drip

Just bought my own first set of true espresso geek equipment....sold my Saeco Incanto Sirius super-auto and bought...

Rancilio Silvia and Madcap M5 so i'm hoping to enter espresso nirvana soon :)

zephyr

Jul 3, 2005
Visit site
I am interested in switching to espresso, I get tired of drinking lots of weak coffee, instead I want to drink strong coffee but less quantity.

JM

Dec 20, 2005
Visit site
I thought it was!

I bought a can of pre-grind espresso beans that claimed, 'for use in coffee makers AND epresso machines.' I'm a little slow and new to the whole world of coffee, doesn't the above imply two types of machines maybe used?

Peace,

JM

:)

a)To increase the " strength" : finer grind, an/or more coffee ...ballance each for your prefered taste.

b) no you can not make espresso in a coffee maker; you can brew a real strong drip coffee though.

c) chech ot Filtron cold coffee brewer for a intense cup with no acid.

nteeman

Jan 11, 2006
Port Washington, NY
Visit site
You can't make espresso from a 'regular' coffee maker, however, you can make regular coffee using 'espresso' coffee, I do it all the time. I like certain Italian Espresso coffee blends and roasts that I use to brew in a drip or french press coffee maker. It makes great coffee, reminds me of espresso made with the same beans but is still brewed coffee. :D