How many shots of espresso for different sized drinks?

BaklaJava

Oct 11, 2005
Pawling, NY
Visit site
Forgive my newbie ignorance, just a few weeks from opening --- if I'm offering 3 drink sizes, is it correct to put one shot of espresso in small, two in medium and 3 in large? Isn't three shots an awful lot to put in one drink? I'd hope that most people would buy a large but am afraid they won't if there are three shots of espresso in it!
Related question -- in others' experience, what is the ratio of requested espresso vs. decaf espresso drinks? Thanks,
Betsy

shots

Always pour doubles, for a 12 oz (tall) one or two shots: ask the customer, 16 ( grande) two shots...if the customer asked for a trippe grande offer the fourth shot for free. A 20 oz ( venti) gets three or four -you decide.....

Also learn the terminology (sp) and thigs will run smoother...also Welcome and ask anything,,,,there is no need to feel shy.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Venti....tall....sigh....try these terms...it helps with sales too!!
not big enough
almost big enough
and big enough

or better yet....
tall
grande
and my favorite...
Enorme

I used this in the past...one guy looked at me for a while...and said...you made enorme up didn't you...I responded with yup and you are the first one to call me on it in 3 years..haha he said he liked it.

better get your stuff together if you are opening in 3 weeks....how are you opening in 3 weeks if you do not have a menu or menu board in place..you better start learning the art of barista or you will be in trouble.
good luck!!!!

BaklaJava

Oct 11, 2005
Pawling, NY
Visit site
Yes, I realize I'm in trouble LOL -- worst of all, our hood STILL isn't installed (I'm going to be baking too). I've been practicing with the espresso machine since it was installed and finally got to the point where I'm not burning myself and boiling over the steaming pitcher so that's a start!! I do have the menu board almost perfect and ready to print. I'll open when I'm ready - just WISH it were going to be in time for Halloween weekend but realizing it's probably not possible.

I love your story about making up "enorme" - give me more ideas please! Since I'm Greek I was thinking "megali" or "megalo" which means big -- just not sure if coffee is a he or she (those crazy Greeks!).

Thanks for posting --
Betsy :)

georgiacoffeelady

Jul 3, 2005
Gainesville, GA
Visit site
I posted this information on another question and hope it helps you. Remember you need to make your standards based on your taste profile and your customers tastes. I do know some coffee shops will use 2 short shots for a 12 oz, and this could be because of the area they are in. So listen to your customers and don't be afraid to adjust after opening. It is a learning process.

"This is a general standard to go by, but you may want to change, based on your taste:

12 oz - 1 short shot (called "Ristretto" ) (.75 oz. to 1 oz.)

16 oz - 2 short shots (use double portafilter) ( 1.5 oz. to 2 oz. )

20 oz - 3 short shots or 2 long shots ( called "Lungo" ) (1 long shot is about 1 oz. to 1.5 oz. a double long shot is about 2 to 3 oz.'s)

12 oz drinks use about 1 oz. of syrup or sauce or a combination of both.

16 oz drinks use about 1.5 oz. of syrup or sauce or a combination of both.

20 oz drinks use about 2.0 oz. of syrup or sauce or a combination of both.

When building your espresso drinks:

1st add syrups or sauce to cup
2nd add espresso
3rd add steamed milk (140 - 160 degrees)
4th add whip cream and topping if desired

If you are using pumps on your syrups or sauces, here is the measurements:

Syrup Pump is .25 oz's
Sauce Pump is .50 oz's

I hope this help give you some guidelines to go by!!"

igualla

Sep 3, 2005
Mexico
Visit site
More questions on Shots

So, if you use the standard 2 shot tool and you have a lot of orders for a 12 oz, which requires only one shot, what do you do with all the leftovers?

georgiacoffeelady

Jul 3, 2005
Gainesville, GA
Visit site
"So, if you use the standard 2 shot tool and you have a lot of orders for a 12 oz, which requires only one shot, what do you do with all the leftovers?"

Your questions is what to do with the extra espresso shot if you use only one for a 12 oz. Well, that is a great questions and my answer is to save the extra shot and store in a empty syrup bottle or another container in your refrigerator. Your extra shots can be used to make your frozen coffee drinks or ice coffee's. The chilled espresso will keep for at least a week in the refrigerator. Their are a lot of bases out their. Cafe D Amore, Big Train, Mo Cafe, Ghirardelli, etc. with the base you can create signature frozen coffee drinks with fresh espresso, syrups, and sauces vs. the powdered products that contain everything. The base products plus fresh espresso, syrups and sauces create a better tasting frozen beverage and I am sure your customers will enjoy them too! I hope this helps and e-mail me personally if you need to discuss this in more detail.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
ummm...I wouldn't suggest keeping espresso in the fridge for a week...have you ever tasted espresso that has been in the fridge for even an hour? Yuck....well sorry that is just my opinion...as to frozen drinks I used hot espresso cooled down by milk in my frozen drinks...

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
shots

watch you food costs

1 shot small 12oz
2 shots large 16oz

no need to offer a bigger size but if you do

3 shots 20oz this drink should be priced at around 3.50+

you can always add a shot to any drink for $1

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
shots

well if our single shot espresso is 1.50 then it is a 1.00 to add a shot to any drink. so if you order a 16oz two shot latte for $2.75 add $1 and a three shot latte is $3.75 its reasonable.

we are in the business to make money don't forget, don't sell your self short on pricing, most of our drinks are priced just below starbucks.

Thanks for the kind words regarding our hudson store, we love to find cool old spaces and renovate them into a coffee house that you would swear has been there for 20 years. The hudson store was a three bedroom apt 2000' we took out most of the walls and kept the fireplaces and pocket doors.

The espresso machine that I have been ordering lately is the Magister, its a work horse and priced at around $4000 new.

Jim