what is the difference between coffee, espresso, latte, etc?

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
HI Coffeeee:

It's all coffee. Basically the difference between espresso and drip coffee is the extraction method. Espresso is finely ground coffee put in a special basket and pushed through this basket with a lot of force for a short period of time; whereas drip coffee is ground coarser and usually extracted through a gravity drip method.

As for the difference in the types of drinks you inquired about: espresso, latte, and mocha. Espresso is just a straight shot of coffee made from the espresso machine without any thing else added to it. The latte is milk steamed to a velvety consistancy and blended with the espresso shot, and the mocha is basically a latte with chocolate added.

Hope this helps. :wink:

G

Thank you for the clarification it's really been bothering me

G

cofee

To complete your answer a latte is is coffe with foamed milk and a mocha is a cofee with chocolate.

Over Caffienated

Mar 2, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
I think a little more detail should go into this drink identification, as there's some very good and popular drinks undefined here. Let's see we've established coffee, espresso, latte, and mocha, let's get on with the list
Cappuccino = 1 shot espresso and equal parts steamed milk and foam

Macchiato = a shot or two of Espresso and a dollup of foam...Star$$$ makes a drink by the same name, but it's something different and I dont remember what

Cafe au Lait = kinda like a latte but without the foam

Depth Charge/shot in the dark/Brewed Awakening = This treat with many alliases is just a standard Cup o' Joe with a shot of espresso dropped in

That's all the standards I can think of... if there's anything else I forgot, please add to the list

MikeTheBike

Jan 30, 2004
Blighty
Visit site
All juiced up!

NW Java,

are you saying that filter/drip fed has more caffeine than espresso?
That surprises me, and suggests I should get my filter machine out and dust it down!

Mick

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Wow! I didn't think this would be a "Ben Hurr" production. I offered the simplest explaination of the differences :D But it's good that people are doing a more defined research. Who knows we may even create more drinks in the future. After all creativity is the key to this industry. Keep it coming :p

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Espresso:
A small cup of coffee brew individually by water pressure process, with a portion of grind coffee weighting between 5 to 7 grams. The amount of water brewed can vary from 1oz to 3oz. Your coarse of coffee will be grind consequently

Cappuccino:
The standard should be 1/3 of espresso, 1/3 of steamed milk, 1/3 frothed milk.

Latte:
Add steamed milk to your espresso, there is no standard depending where are in the US, some makes a double, some a triple; factors like the quality of coffee, the degree of roasting, the extraction of the brew and other are the???? Coffee, may very between 10 and 14 grams, also known as double.

Café Latte:
Espresso combined with a liberal amount of foamy steamed milk.

Café au Lait:
French for coffee with milk – it consists of equal portions of steamed milk and fresh brewed coffee.

Macchiato:
An Espresso with a dollop of steamed milk foam on top.

Con Panna:
An Espresso with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Americano:
An Espresso in a coffee cup filled with hot water.

Café Mocha:
Chocolate with Espresso and steamed milk topped with whipped cream.

Coffee Lingo,

Learn to speak coffee!!

Barista Expert Espresso bartender / waiter

Brevé Any milk based Espresso drink using semi-skimmed milk

Con Panna With cream

Crema Dense golden brown foam found on Espresso - indication of freshness

Demitasse Small Espresso cup, holding 2 - 3 oz coffee

Double Two shots of coffee

Double Cupping Two takeaway cups inside each other to prevent burning hands

Double Fun Flavoring the coffee and the milk

Dry No steamed milk (just foamed milk)

Foamless No foamed milk

Grande Large size 16 oz cup

Latte Milk

Lungo Means long and refers to a long pull of Espresso

Macchiato Marked or spotted

Quad
Four shots of coffee

Short
8 oz cup

Skinny
Semi skimmed milk

Tall Tall glass or tumbler 12 oz in size

Triple Three shots of coffee

Wet Steamed milk (no foamed milk)

Whipless No whipped cream

With room
Cup not completely filled, leaving room for cream

With wings Take away packaging with handles

G

Well you know, where's there's smoke, there's fire...Hopefully not in the roaster :twisted: