Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hello

I'm Audrey and this being my first post, I thought I would say hello.

Coffee does not seem to be the same as it was when I was growing up and could smell the brew my mom had going.

She ALWAYS used Cain's coffee and though it is not a brand that I would favor, the aroma and flavor brings a thought of a happier day.

Today, coffee that I drink is much different and my mom loved coffee. Drank it as I do, all day, every day but I doubt she would have really been 'into' all the roasts/flavors/blends that I am into now.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away . . .

Thank you Paul McC. My mom used nothing but Maxwell House in her perc pot and only used a perc pot. Her coffee was exceptional. I cannot copy it today. Maybe it's the lack of Mom or maybe I've tasted so many different coffees in the last 40+ yrs, my budds have moved on. Or maybe I just can't remember. I know she never cleaned her pot with anything except water and it was well water without any filtration nor adjustment. Kinda like a glass of silt. And yes, you could see stuff floating in it. All I remember is it made a major cup that I'd pay a pretty buck for now. I use nothing but spring water, roast, grind and brew my own and sometimes is great and sometimes is close and sometimes it's not. It's never the same nor is anyone elses I know. It's made by us humans and that's as clear as I can be. Then again, they don't make much of anything like they use to. I still think it's the lack of Mom. Moms know best.

Live well --

DML
    I was at the local heath food store today and was looking at their selection of coffees. The thing I noticed right away was that all the coffee is from central America and Mexico. They do not have anything from Africa or any of the island countries. I wonder if that has anything to do with the taste and aroma?

I remember trying some Kenya AA a long time ago and it was pretty good. One of the guys at work says that he roasts some kind of coffee from Sumatra. He is going to bring me some to try.

There is a COFFEE BEAN & TEA LEAF about 25 miles from where I live. I'll have to see what they have. (HMMMM. I get 20 MPG @ $2.62 per gallon. That's about $6 round trip. It's cheaper to mail order it.)

If you drive to coffee bean and tea leaf, you might be able to smell the different coffee beans before you buy. You may not find the same coffee you remember from years ago, but you may be introduced to a new and better bean.
    If you only drink one or two cups a day, the Kenya and Sumatra are both very good coffees. Both coffees are very unique, and make very good "after dinner" coffees. If you like to drink more than two cups in a sitting, I might recommend a lighter coffee. When I'm really in the mood to drink coffee, (this is usually on days that end in "y"), I like to drink Guatemalan Antigua or a nice southern Mexico bean.
    My favorite bean in the world is India Mysore Golden Nuggets. This bean is difficult to find right now for some weird reason. Anyway, my last suggestion for a good coffee bean would be Costa Rican Terrazu. I can drink a whole pot of Terrazu before breakfast. I hope you make the drive, it will be worth it!

One of my favorite marketing blunders is "Mysore Nuggets"
    Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water. ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

That name is unfortunate for such a good bean! Maybe India should change the name to "India Karnataka".

DML

Too poor to pay attention

I had to go into town today and made it a point to go into the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. It's funny how the mind works. It seemed odd to me when I went in that there were no bins or bags of coffee. I asked if they sold coffee beans and the lady behind the counter pulled out a bag of ground "house blend". She told me that they mostly sell coffee drinks. I looked at the menu and the only thing close to a real cup of coffee was espresso and Americano. I thanked her and left. That's when I realized that the name of the shop was Yellow Leaf Coffee Co.

So the trip wasn't a complete waste, I went to the health food market and checked out their selection. The only none new world coffee was Sumatra Mandheling. It was roasted darker then I like, but I bought half a pound to try. Hey! This stuff is good! It doesn't have that burnt taste I get from most "French" roast coffee.

coffee and USAF 60's........

DML...... coincidently, I read your post and just kept reading, right up until you wrote that you were in the USAF, 60's version! I was combat photo '66 to '69. My website is http://www.601st.com

It's amazing how our olfactory sense can bring back incredibly strong memories. While I can't say that I've ever lost the memory of coffee, it really didn't gain importance until I married a Brasilian. For the last 20+ years I've traveled back to Brasil, spending time on our family cattle ranches, and traveling to friends coffee farms. My "learned" appreciation for the smell of fresh coffee in the morning is stronger now for Brasilian Cafe', a stronger, but smooth coffee that we drink from a small cup, or demitasse. I'd be glad to share that experience and point you to some suppliers.

I could recommend that you invest in a small coffee roaster. With that, you'll learn to appreciate the smell of green beans, all the way to fresh roast....... which actually doesn't have a developed fragrance or aroma until it outgasses; usually up to four days. But add a small grinder, and you'll be in control of generating that aroma you miss. Although it may have to be rediscovered by trial and error.

Regardless, I'm curious to know where you served, etc. My direct email is: alsterling@earthlink.net

Best, Al
    And I ask myself... why take blood pressure med's every morning... when they're backed up by downing two double capuccinos? I mean, I love the taste, but my heart's beat'n like a scared rabbit...!!!

DML,

This is an old post and I don't know if you're around anymore but YEAH, coffee has changed somehow.

I have some old REAL cans I use to put screws in and opened one up the other day and the wonderful smell of coffee greeted me not this new bitter smelling crap they call coffee.

So yes, coffee has changed and it's not just old age creeping up on me. I figure something has changed in the processing. I know most use plastic cans now. Or THEY, Monsanto or someone, has tinkered with the genes of the coffee plant making a hideous mutated form of coffee.

So I quit coffee a while back and drink nothing but TEA now.

Most caffeine. Best is just to go to sleep earlier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links