Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Am I the only one that has an issue with Starbucks advertising light and medium blends/roasts as a "Bold/Dark Roast?" I prefer very strong coffee, so I had to find out the hard way that at Starbucks, those terms are very deceiving. I find that Italian,Sumatra,and Espresso Roasts are the only "true" Bolds. It really frustrates me when they have no real Bold available and have replaced it with a seasonal blend promo or one of the other blends, and still labels it Bold. Unlike the other customers who prefer light to medium blends that are always available, I have to chuck up an additional buck or two for shots of espresso in order to have a stronger coffee. For customers like myself, Bold blends should be just as readily available, on a daily basis as the weaker blends, and not substituted with "The Blend Of The Day!"

Yes, you are the only one.

I beg to differ.....there hasn't been any "serious" convo on this thread pertaining to this for how many years??? Because of that, I figured it was a longshot to expect a response at all, let alone a serious one with some basis to support it. But thanks anyway Peter for amusing me with your one liner. When you're ready to have a serious convo (what I thought this forum was about), I'm here.....

Super Moderator
    Hi coffaddict,

I don't recall ever reading anything on this Forum regarding someone having an issue with Starbucks advertising light and medium blends/roasts as a "Bold/Dark Roast" So, it appears that you're the only one we've seen so far.

Have you asked this question when you've been at Starbucks?

Many years ago, when I went to Starbucks, (on days when I had the time and they weren't busy), they'd make coffee for me in the French Press, and I could make a coffee selection from their available coffees. I haven't been to Starbucks in years, but maybe you could try that and see how it goes. Be polite and ask nicely, and they may do it for you.

I haven't explored the Starbucks website in a very long time, but they used to have a place where you could contact them and ask questions. It may be worth exploring when you have time.

Rose

Hey Coffaddict, Welcome aboard.
    Many of us here do not always participate in every single thread. I normally try to read most of the new thread or new post, but I do miss many .

About bold coffee.... I don't call over roasted coffee, bold. They are burnt or overly roasted coffee.
    When I think of bold, i would think of coffee with more caffeine. Did you know light to medium roasted coffee has much higher caffeine content?

So instead of bold, lets call the coffee you like "over roasted bitter coffee."

I think when you are adding cream and sugar to your coffee, you really are not drinking coffee for its flavor but flavor of sugar and cream.
    ORBC(over roasted bitter Coffee) is served many different places like gas stations, grocery stores, 7-11, and you could find them in some offices.
    But you won't find those at artisan roasters, reputable coffee houses and high end coffee shops.

SO in my opinion, Starbucks is not really promoting their signature blend but trying to find bigger audiences for their product.

If you do little research on coffee, different type, different roast, and true flavor of different region, you will be very surprised.
    Remember coffee is Second Most Traded Commodity in the World after Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hi coffaddict,

I don't recall ever reading anything on this Forum regarding someone having an issue with Starbucks advertising light and medium blends/roasts as a "Bold/Dark Roast" So, it appears that you're the only one we've seen so far.

Have you asked this question when you've been at Starbucks?

Many years ago, when I went to Starbucks, (on days when I had the time and they weren't busy), they'd make coffee for me in the French Press, and I could make a coffee selection from their available coffees. I haven't been to Starbucks in years, but maybe you could try that and see how it goes. Be polite and ask nicely, and they may do it for you.

I haven't explored the Starbucks website in a very long time, but they used to have a place where you could contact them and ask questions. It may be worth exploring when you have time.

Rose
    Hello Pink Rose, Thank You for your response. I have asked about this issue before at Starbucks. Some responses have even been in agreement with me, and a couple of them have even said to me that a coffee that was featured as "bold," was really more of a medium blend. It's part of why I feel my complaint is a valid one. I appreciate your suggestion about the "french press," and will ask about it on my next visit.
    Last edited by coffaddict; 02-24-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Thank you CoffeeJunky for welcoming me aboard. It may be true that my palate craves a more bitter flavor, but not totally. Starbucks' coffee to me, does still have a more distinctive flavor that I crave that separates them from gas stations, 7-11s, etc (which by the way I think is horrid, their coffee that is...). And there are "bold" blends at Starbucks that I truly enjoy. I'm so pleased when I ask what the "bold" blend is for the day and find it's Italian, Sumatra, or Expresso blend. If I'm told their "bold" is anything other than those three, I absolutely MUST have a shot or two of espresso, depending on what size I'm getting. I have friends that say that their mildest blend is much too strong for them and who also regard Starbucks as being known for really "strong" coffee. Don't get me wrong, Starbucks is still my favorite place to get a really good cup of coffee, I just wish that they would try and find their "bigger audiences" as you say, by way of promoting through the proper category (mild, medium, bold), As I mentioned in my response to Pink Rose, I've had Baristas (whom I realize are not necessarily that knowledgeable about their products, some more than others) admit a particular "bold" blend on a given day, is really a more milder blend. In order of importance for me I'd say what I expect is flavor first, how strong it is second, and caffeine as my least concern (ergo, why I don't prefer milder, as you say, more caffeine). I appreciate your input, it has been useful information for me....Thank You!
    Last edited by coffaddict; 02-24-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJunky View Post
    Hey Coffaddict, Welcome aboard.
    Many of us here do not always participate in every single thread. I normally try to read most of the new thread or new post, but I do miss many .

About bold coffee.... I don't call over roasted coffee, bold. They are burnt or overly roasted coffee.
    When I think of bold, i would think of coffee with more caffeine. Did you know light to medium roasted coffee has much higher caffeine content?

So instead of bold, lets call the coffee you like "over roasted bitter coffee."

I think when you are adding cream and sugar to your coffee, you really are not drinking coffee for its flavor but flavor of sugar and cream.
    ORBC(over roasted bitter Coffee) is served many different places like gas stations, grocery stores, 7-11, and you could find them in some offices.
    But you won't find those at artisan roasters, reputable coffee houses and high end coffee shops.

SO in my opinion, Starbucks is not really promoting their signature blend but trying to find bigger audiences for their product.

If you do little research on coffee, different type, different roast, and true flavor of different region, you will be very surprised.
    Remember coffee is Second Most Traded Commodity in the World after Oil.
    Thank you CoffeeJunky for welcoming me aboard. It may be true that my palate craves a more bitter flavor, but not totally. Starbucks' coffee to me, does still have a more distinctive flavor that I crave that separates them from gas stations, 7-11s, etc (which by the way I think is horrid, their coffee that is...). And there are "bold" blends at Starbucks that I truly enjoy. I'm so pleased when I ask what the "bold" blend is for the day and find it's Italian, Sumatra, or Expresso blend. If I'm told their "bold" is anything other than those three, I absolutely MUST have a shot or two of espresso, depending on what size I'm getting. I have friends that say that their mildest blend is much too strong for them and who also regard Starbucks as being known for really "strong" coffee. Don't get me wrong, Starbucks is still my favorite place to get a really good cup of coffee, I just wish that they would try and find their "bigger audiences" as you say, by way of promoting through the proper category (mild, medium, bold), As I mentioned in my response to Pink Rose, I've had Baristas (whom I realize are not necessarily that knowledgeable about their products, some more than others) admit a particular "bold" blend on a given day, is really a more milder blend. In order of importance for me I'd say what I expect is flavor first, how strong it is second, and caffeine as my least concern (ergo, why I don't prefer milder, as you say, more caffeine). I appreciate your input, it has been useful information for me....Thank You!

Hello Pink Rose, Thank You for your response. I have asked about this issue before at Starbucks. Some responses have even been in agreement with me, and a couple of them have even said to me that a coffee that was featured as "bold," was really more of a medium blend. It's part of why I feel my complaint is a valid one. I appreciate your suggestion about the "french press," and will ask about it on my next visit.

Coffaddict,

There are many different types of coffee out there and to draw a big picture, it divides by the region. There are Asia, African and South America. In Asia, there are Indonesian, Vietnam, and China. Of course there are f more countries grow coffee in that region. In African, Ethiopia, Kenya, being popular and in South America, there are Columbia, Jamaica, and many more countries. Also we have Kona Coffee in Hawaii and more.
    Generally speaking South American coffee are milder with light body and little more sophisticated flavor. Asians are more bolder, deeper and darker flavor. In Africa, many countries have very bold, deeper, darker flavor of coffee.
    There really aren't any coffee from Europe. So when you say, Italian, I am assuming type of roast. Not type of beans. Sumatra is Asian region. From Indonesian. French coffee would be French roast, which is darker roast close to full city roast. Espresso, is also very dark roast.
    I think you should try Sumatra or Yirgacheff dark roasted single origin coffee. Or try some of the better espresso blend sold by reputable coffee roaster locally.
    To give you some back ground of Starbucks coffee. Of course they are the biggest coffee seller in the World. They have purchased over 500 million pounds of coffee last year from all over the world.
    Which means, you would have no idea where these beans are from....unless it specify the origin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links