starbucks

brock20

Sep 22, 2007
Visit site
I now I am a bit naive about this, but when I grind my own beans at home, usually estate java... it tastes incredibly different from the local starbucks cup. Now I now that I am grinding fresh beans and using the press and all that, but why does starbucks tasts so marketably different. I hate the taste??? what type of beans do they use?? sorry but always wondered.

thanks-

Caffe Latte

May 10, 2004
New York City
Visit site
could be that your grind is a different size then used by starbucks. the water could be at a different temperature as well. They use large commercial brewers and I am going to assume you are using a 4-12 cup home brewing machine.

desertjedi

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
You will never be able to replicate the taste of Starbucks coffee at home. They take special steps to make their coffee overly strong.

If you take their coffee, or any \"good''\" coffee and brew it correctly in a French press, the result will be how the coffee should actually taste. Actually, you will experience flavors in the coffee that you will never notice when you get a cup at Starbucks.

I''ve spoken to ex-Starbucks employees and their technique is to give you the strongest coffee possible with the highest caffeine content possible. IMHO, that''s not what we should be striving for in brewing coffee.

carl915

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
desertjedi said:
I''ve spoken to ex-Starbucks employees and their technique is to give you the strongest coffee possible with the highest caffeine content possible. IMHO, that''s not what we should be striving for in brewing coffee.

Yeah, it's like they're making crack!

chef bradley

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
desertjedi said:
You will never be able to replicate the taste of Starbucks coffee at home. They take special steps to make their coffee overly strong.

If you take their coffee, or any "good''" coffee and brew it correctly in a French press, the result will be how the coffee should actually taste. Actually, you will experience flavors in the coffee that you will never notice when you get a cup at Starbucks.

I agree with brewing in a french press. Its, by far, the best way to achieve the flavor profile you are looking for.