Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

cold brew/toddy question

Just wondering what info anyone might have on the cold brew or toddy makers. All I've been told is that it makes a thick sludge that's used in blended or iced drinks. I've ordered one and hope that it comes with better instructions than all the other equipment I've purchase thus far. Thanks

Toddy

Dear janie1963,

Any progress with your new Toddy? I'd like to know more before I purchase the same item. Thanks!

I haven't used it yet-we are about 2 weeks from opening. But I did do a Google search (cold brew toddy recipes) and found a few recipes with good intructions. I'm so excited to serve toddy drinks because not one coffe shop around here does.

Good luck to you!

Toddy maker

I bought a Toddy Maker years ago, and rarely use it. It's a cold extraction process that creates a syrupy concentrate. The intention is that you add hot water to the concentrate for your coffee. Sort of like a liquid instant coffee. The end result is smooth, but on the bland side. It tends to remove a lot of the indidvidual character from a coffee. I don't really recommend it.

Toddy is the ONLY way to brew coffee

Folks, let's remember taste is subjective - some people like the harshness of a cup of Starbucks coffee. Toddy's cold brewed coffee is about as good as it gets. I started drinking it in college 20 years ago, and brew coffee no other way. Plus, it's easy - you can make it one cup at a time as strong or weak as you prefer. My dinner guests rave about it. I also use it in food recipes when coffee is an ingredient. Kate

Super Moderator
    Not only am I a client I own the company! Just kidding Kate...I do not like Toddy as hot coffee but when you make iced drinks with a wee bit of syrup and milk....sells like crazzzzy. There used to be this place in Tampa that sold straight Toddy iced.....no that is crazzzy!
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Re: Toddy is the ONLY way to brew coffee

Quote Originally Posted by katebackstage
    Folks, let's remember taste is subjective - some people like the harshness of a cup of Starbucks coffee. Toddy's cold brewed coffee is about as good as it gets. I started drinking it in college 20 years ago, and brew coffee no other way. Plus, it's easy - you can make it one cup at a time as strong or weak as you prefer. My dinner guests rave about it. I also use it in food recipes when coffee is an ingredient. Kate
    No offense, Kate, but easy doesn't usually equate with good. If you've only been drinking Toddy coffee you're limiting yourself. Each brewing process creates a different result, just as each coffee has its own unique characteristics. I suspect that your dinner guests rave about it because they've not had properly prepared and served coffee, so they don't know any better. Toddy coffee does produce a consistent, easy to consume product. So does McDonald's, but I wouldn't serve it at my dinner parties.

Cold Brew

I have a Filtron cold-brew system, and it is very easy to use! Once you've let your grounds steep, just pull the drain plug on the bottom and set on the carafe for a few minutes. Voila! Coffee concentrate, with no 'sludge' and you can keep it at room temperature.

I enjoy the smoother cup of coffee, with much less 'bite' and oils; I also have less of a caffeine reaction. The concentrate is great to take on my travels - all that is needed is hot water.

tha toddy

Ah the toddy, or as we call it here, liquid crack. We only use toddy for our iced coffee here at pablo's, and everyone agrees... it makes a stronger, less bitter beverage. When you brew it hot and then put it in the fridge, it sometimes tastes way too acidic. We use 5lb of coffee at a time, ground moderately fine, and the yield is about three gallons of intese concentrate.

As far as using the liquid crack for hot coffee goes, I guess that's a matter of personal taste. I prefer the french press or a double espresso, sometimes an americano. But to each his or her own!

cold brew

I have used mine once....it makes a very good beverage.....very mellow.....does not have the bite that I generally like...but that stated.....its still a quality cup of coffee....I only let the mixture brew for 12 hours....I am upping to 18 to see if there is a difference in intesity.....though the mellowness is s nice change...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links