Coffee Drinks & Recipes

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
If only there was a room for recipes............

All I'm finding on the net are the many variations of "espresso" drinks.
Also a few liquored down coffee recipes, but there's gotta be more to coffee drinks than adding cream in various forms and froths to espresso.

I've read a few interesting concoctions here, but they're spread throughout the forum.

How about a room just for recipes? Posters can enter their creative coffee drinks in one section.

I'll have to revisit this issue again soon. (It's self-serving in a way).

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Cool, I found a recipe for a chocolate espresso martini.
I'll have to add that to my strip club coffee bar menu.
It looks as though all coffee recipes come down to espresso being the main ingredient.
See what a novice I am?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

Did you ever have a chance to try the chocolate espresso martini??? It's hard to imagine it tasting good, but you never know.

I'm sure lots of people would also be interested in seeing some postings containing the cafe-style recipes and instructions for making regular, common, espresso drinks.

Although I realize that the tweaking of the recipes is what gives each cafe's drink creations their unique flavor, it's still amazing to see the number of variations there are to the steps for making drinks such as a chai latte or cafe moca, for example. It would be good to have a place where people could find the basic recipes along with the variations that other people have come up with.

I'm sure there are many "inquiring minds" who have wanted to know ..... when making a cafe moca should they first put one pump of chocolate in the bottom of the mug or is it best to put the chocolate on top of the espresso....or is it best mixed in with the espresso before adding the steamed/frothed milk ... and what is the difference and why.

Rose

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hey Rose.

I've done some research on coffee drinks to get some ideas for biscotti recipes. I picked up quite a few ideas, using finely ground espresso as a base ingredient. Thing is, most drinks have some form of milk or cream. I can't use those in my recipes, unless in powder form and I don't want to get into that either. Most coffee shops nowadays are just asking for a basic biscotti anyway, so I'm all set.

As far as the chocolate espresso martini, I still have yet to try one. I like some liquors, most chocolates and espressos. Sounds like a winning combination right? I will be making a rum raisin biscotti soon.

BTW - Tread carefully through the graveyards of aged posts. Bad things could happen if old skeletons are dug up. :wink:

iampatches13

May 16, 2008
Maine
Visit site
I am down for some zombie action. Besides there is so much that can be done with coffee outside of drink form!

Cooking with coffee adds a distinct flavor to desserts, but when adding to meats bring out the flavor of the meat itself, without changing the original flavor.

Freeze leftover coffee into ice cubes to be used in ice coffees,stews & sauces.

A pinch of salt added to coffee will help to combat some acidic coffees. Coffee can be spiced up with cinnamon, all spice & nutmeg, adding lemon will give it a zingy flavor.

And now what you've all been waiting for:
SOME RECIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COFFEE BURGERS:
1LB of ground beef
1/4 cup of crumbled blue cheese
Heap tbsp espresso coffee
Heap tbsp chili powder
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 chopped onions
1 jalapeño pepper,seeded,thinly sliced
1/4 red or green pepper thinly sliced
1tbsp Worcester sauce
Mix all the ingredients together
Make into patties
Cook on the hot grill or fry
Makes 4 burgers.

COFFEE GLAZED HAM.
4LB fresh ham (fat on)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup of fresh brewed dark coffee
1tbsp cinnamon
Pinch crushed cloves
Preheat oven to 375f
Wrap ham in foil & cook for 2hrs
Prepare glaze-melt honey,add the coffee,cloves & cinnamon & reduce for 10 mins
When cooked score the ham fat in a criss cross pattern, brush with the glaze & return to oven for 45mins frequently reglazing.
when ready slice ham up,can be eaten hot or cold.

COFFEE SPAGHETTI
1lb ground beef
2 finely chopped onions
2/3 cloves crushed garlic
2/3 chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
Freshly brewed french roast coffee
1/2lb mushrooms
2tbsp olive oil
Pinch sugar
salt & pepper to taste
1tsp oregano
1/2lb spaghetti
Parmesan cheese
Brown the onions, garlic in the oil, add ground beef & brown. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste & coffee & simmers for 30 mins. Add oregano, salt & pepper. Serve with the spaghetti & top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Bon Appétit

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "iampatches13"

I must say that it is absolutely the first time I've seen coffee recipes for "food" items! Usually most coffee recipes are for drinks, pastries, and puddings, etc.

Have you actually tried these recipes? The thought of putting coffee into burgers, ham, or spaghetti sauce would never have occured to me.

I think we should talk Mr. Biscotto into trying them and ask him to share his results with the class.

Rose

iampatches13

May 16, 2008
Maine
Visit site
I have tried rubbing coffee into a steak. It was absolutely amazing. It tasted nothing like coffee, but it did bring out the flavor of the meat a whole lot.

I plan on making the coffee burgers sometime this week.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
We used to marinade steaks in a tub of coca cola for at least a few hours before grilling. Never did the taste of the coke come through.

I've never tried coffee as a marinade, but can see how it would work just as well. Mako, the coffee should burn right off of the grill like anything else, no problem.

But, you might be talkin' ground coffee, in which case the grill could probably use a good scrub when you're done. Fine ground coffee rub? Yummy! Sounds good.

Coffee Rub

But seriously folks, I have met a number of chefs who have lately been having lots of fun with coffee, specifically espresso as a rub on protein of all kinds. Seems when you have good experiences with beef you want to try pork.

Patches might try it on lobster some time. I hear he's in the biz...

Personally I would stay away from Coffee Spaghetti.

Mako