The Macchiato 20oz??? Is this a Stupid Question?

rgs2rchs

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
Ok, I was sitting here daydreaming about my new venture (final stages of opening a coffeehouse) and it hit me. I make macchiato here at home (doubles) roughly 1.75-20z of espresso with foam on top. I never had one from say SB or The Coffee Beanery but was wondering... How in the world do you make a 12,16, or 20oz macchiato. From my understand it should only have espresso with foam and I know SB or anyone else for that fact could be pouring say 10oz shots topped with foam. Please explain.

Sean

olygirl

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
A Macchiato meaning, \"marked\" is a traditional Italian drink which consist of a double (or single) shot of espresso topped with a small amount of steamed milk \"marking\" it with foam. These should only be made in espresso cup with a capacity of around 2.5 oz.
If you were to make a Macchiato in any thing else it would be a latte.

mentalfrosting

Jan 8, 2008
Santa Barbara
Visit site
Heres the thing about SB. They make things up. They have two different drinks on their menu. One is the \"espresso macchiato\" which is the espresso with a bit foam as your used to and is offered as a \"solo\" or \"doppio\". Then there is the \"caramel macchiato\" that comes in 12, 16, and 20oz. The caramel macchiato is basically a vanilla latte in which you put a few pumps of vanilla, steamed milk, then espresso shots, then caramel swirls on top. So you see its not really a macchiato at all, Just a bizzare drink with a strange order of creation. :roll:

Heidi

Nov 9, 2007
Iceland
Visit site
That's the difference between a Latte Macchiato (an espresso shot poured over steamed milk) and the Espresso Macchiato.

I really don't understand why they had to invent the Latte macchiato since it's basically just latte. We only do the traditional macchiato and refuse to so anything else.