Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black Coffee

Black Coffee

I drink my coffee black but when i do people look at me as though i were an alien. Seems like according to them coffee is only good with lots of cream and sugar. How can i convince them otherwise?
    Life is like a bag of unroasted coffee beans, you never know what you are going to get.

1. Health reasons - Adding cream essentially eliminates the antioxidant benefits of black coffee (may have something to do with the proteins in the milk binding to the antioxidants).
    2. Give them good black coffee. A few of my friends used to load their coffee with milk and sugar until I introduced them to the brand "gimme coffee." From my experiences, good coffee should not require milk or sugar to cover up imperfections characteristic of bad coffee (bitterness, etc.).

Nonetheless, some people still do prefer to sweeten up good coffee due to personal preferences or routine. If you have added cream and sugar to your coffee throughout your entire life, I assume it will be difficult to change.

I don't mind some 100% Arabica instant coffee with 3 to 4 teaspoons of sugar to cover up the bitterness.
    Url in signature was removed

Have you considered the remote possibility that you may very well be an alien?

Although I prefer real coffee black, no cream or sugar, I do enjoy an occasional caffe latte or mocha. On my day off, when I know I won't be driving, I might even try a liquored down coffee drink.

Coffee is good so many ways, why think it's only good black man? Let them try real coffee for sure, but also let them enjoy some of the infinite possibilities that lie therein.

I could go on about the other, more exotic and entertaining uses of good coffee, but that would be better saved for another forum.
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

Super Moderator
    I am too late...sigh..how did I know that caffe biscotto was going to jump on the alien comment? :P Dont worry about anyone else drink it how you like it!
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I like Coffee Black, like my aliens

I'm afraid I need to be faster on the draw! When I read the reference to aliens drinking black coffee, I instantly thought of the Alien Coffee Chronicles. And I was not surprised to see Caffe Biscotto jumping right in with the same idea. (to say nothing of his other possible uses for black coffee)

But lo and behold, Mr. Topher has made reference to alien coffee! This is very exciting. It's common to find such members as Caffe Biscotto and Davids Biscotti participating in this brand of Tom-Foolery. But when a Topher joins in, well that's significant.

Please Topher give us a first hand glimpse at what your Nike's are like, now that they're inhabited by millions of Centaurians.

MakoShark
    "Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can."
    -Danny Kaye

Quality beans, properly roasted will never need cream or sugar, and it's an insult to everyone in the chain to add it.... Provided the roaster and brewer deliver in the cup what the farmer presented you with in their crop.

The phrase "...to cover up the bitterness" means low quality beans, improperly roasted beans, old stale beans... or a combination of any and all of the above.

Most people have never had good coffee because only a handful of shops/roasters in North America have it.

Bean quality. Correct roast level. Correct brewing.

It sounds so simple, yet less than 1 out of 10 shops do it.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

Quote Originally Posted by John P
    Quality beans, properly roasted will never need cream or sugar, and it's an insult to everyone in the chain to add it.... Provided the roaster and brewer deliver in the cup what the farmer presented you with in their crop.

The phrase "...to cover up the bitterness" means low quality beans, improperly roasted beans, old stale beans... or a combination of any and all of the above.

Most people have never had good coffee because only a handful of shops/roasters in North America have it.

Bean quality. Correct roast level. Correct brewing.

It sounds so simple, yet less than 1 out of 10 shops do it.
    Any idea how many of your customers went from cream and sugar to black? I'd surprised if I converted 5% of my customers.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

ElPugDiablo wrote:
    Any idea how many of your customers went from cream and sugar to black?
    Coffee? 100%, I've had maybe a total of five people ever ask.
    And the answer has always been "no".

Americano? About 65%-70% take it black.

We don't do standard "drip" coffee, nor have we ever.

Americano only first 18 months. Press coffee brewed fresh by the cup, for another year and a half, and siphon coffee, by the cup for the past four months or so.

It's easier to covert people if:
    A) You don't leave any cream or sugar out.
    B) You educate them by taste
    C) It's not an option.

The LCD will always remain as such, but there are a huge number of people who can be converted by taste; sometimes they just need a little nudge.

I was going on thirty before I had my first eye opening cup of coffee.
    And about the same age before I ever had fresh seafood. (wouldn't touch the stuff before)
    I'm thirty-nine now. Change came instantly, and I've never looked back.
    Most people will do the same given the opportunity.

That's your job. Present the opportunity for them to experience excellence, and give it to them. They will be fiercely loyal.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

A few years ago I too made the life changing exploration into black coffee. And I too will never turn back. But I do have to say that not all coffees will taste better black. It really depends on the roast and the temperature at which you''re drinking it. As far as the roast goes, you in uncharted waters if you''ve never had it black before as everyone''s going to have a different experience with it. There are just some roasts I don''t drink because they require cream and sweetener to taste good. Here in New England (not sure about elsewhere) iced coffee is all the rage, everyones drinking it and everyones selling it. Yet a number of the varieties taste awful because they aren''t being served at a temp that''s appropriate. Same coffee served hot is great black, when cold it NEEDS some help from the cows and the cane.

As far as turning people to the dark side goes:
    Just getting them to taste it works wonders. I mean for customers as far as I am concerned you have to have cream and sweetener available, SOMEONE is going to want it and you''re just going to lose business without it. For them then, who cares if they are enjoying your stuff inappropriately, ignorance is often quite blissful I hear.

For those who look at you with wide eyes, maybe mouthing \"Oh My God!\" Just look at em and wink. \"Puts hair on your chest\". Often times I find the biggest thing hindering people from going black is the lack of opportunity, or proper motivation. That and fear of becoming an alien.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links