artificial sweeteners

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
i usually take my coffee without sugar, regardless if its espresso or anything with milk or cream.
i realised that i was hitting the sugar a little too hard at one stage and started using artificial sweetener for my 1st cup of the day, and after that i just stuck to it without sugar.
now im not familiar with medical terms, but one of the regulars saw me dump a packet of candarel into my coffee and immediately started elaborating on all the different types of cancer one could get by just using artificial sugar.
i decided ill just skip the sugar totally ever since, but could someone please explain the whole sweetener = cancer scenario.
would love to clear it up.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Its people like that who need to be slapped in the face, told to wake up and get a clue. You breath in more substances that cause cancer then you could ever get from consuming artificial sweeteners.

You would literally have to sit with a 5 gallon bucket and eat the whole thing day in and day out for long periods of time.

Its like with mercury in fish. I still have people tell me that if you eat to much it could kill you. Then I have to break it to them the hard way. The lethal dose for mercury in a 150 pound man runs between 1 - 4 grams of mercury. The amount of tuna a person would have to consume would be so ridiculously large they wouldn't be able to consume it all. Even a typical household mercury thermometer has about .7 grams of mercury in it.

Even then they say that you don't have to worry because your body will only absorb a small amount of it. The rest will go down the toilet and pollute further down the stream.

brewdusoleil

Feb 7, 2007
Visit site
There are alot of manmade substances that the human body cannot digest and cannot excrete, therefore sits inside your body hanging out and accumulating more and more. Sure, that teeny tiny amount of toxin really won't be noticed right away but over a period of time, the accumalative effects aren't exactly happy....potential thyroid problems, MS-like symptoms, liver problems, etc.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Did you ever see the 60 minutes piece on how Searle got it all got through the FDA ? The FDA head that allowed it through went on to join the law firm representing Searle. The next head of the FDA stalled the investigation until the statute of limitations ran out on his predecessor (calling if not illegal, certainly immoral). Well, after the statute of liminations ran out, he too joined the law firm representing Searle.

If you say that the artificial sweeteners cause brain cancer, you can be sued, you can say there is a high coincidence of the consumption of artificial sweetners and brain tumours.

Bottom line..........try stevia, a natural sweetener that has been in use by south american natives for thousands of years without issue. It is currently illegal to use it in processed food but that is about to change shortly as Coke/Pepsi and I believe P&G have managed to somehow patent it.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I think the real problem here is the amount of misinformation on the Internet that deals with the misgivings of other people. I always get a chuckle when I hear these adds about detoxing your body and the amount of scum that is attached to the inside of your colon. Take the detox for 30 days and your colon will be cleaner the boot camp head. If you read all of the medical sites and or talk to your own doctor they'll all tell you they have never seen a person who has had even the slightest buildup in the colon. So they are confused as how paying $60 for a detox is going to make even the smallest difference.

Its never going to end.....

CMT

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
I've actually research and written about this in several articles. The amount of Splenda you would need to produce cancer is in the thousands of servings per day, every day, for years. It's truly astronomical.

If you don't go outside when there's clouds out for fear of being struck by lightning, you may want to avoid Splenda and the like, otherwise, enjoy the calories you save.

Jessica2

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Saccharin (aka Sweet and Low) is the worst, it causes cancer. Aspartame (aka Equal) is not as bad but some people who are unusually sensitive get life threatening allergic reactions from it. Sucralose or Splenda is the major sweetener that I have not read of any health risks for.