bolder always better?

cartoons10

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
I once heard a rumor from Starbucks that bolder and darker coffee does not always have stronger caffeine then milder. milder is the strongest according to my local star bucks. because they are treated differently. what do you think? does this mean I am making a good choice on sticking with mild?

omegapd

Sep 4, 2008
Deep South, GA
Visit site
The experts say that the darker the roast, the less caffeine it has because some of it is burned off. The majority of Starbucks stuff, even what I consider the milder roasts, are way darker than many other companies.

Drink what you like and enjoy it!

EW

SpeckledCrema

Aug 5, 2008
St. Louis M.O.
Visit site
yes, it is true that the lighter the roast, the more caffeine present. This is because caffeine is water soluble, and the longer you roast, the more water evaporates. Ever notice that a city roast bean is larger than a french roast one?

This is also true in espresso. There is less caffeine in espresso simply because there is less water for the caffeine to saturate.

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
It depends on what you really want. Aside from caffeine content, you may also want to factor-in other elements into the equation, such as your actual coffee consumption, and the flavor you really enjoy drinking.

In my case, amount of caffeine does not matter much since the range of cups I take often just range from 2-3 per day. But if you are a heavy drinker, perhaps caffeine content does really matter to you. Also, I'd go for flavor over caffeine content. There are even times I'd drink decaf if I have no choice, as long as it tastes good!

Happy drinking!

...does this mean I am making a good choice on sticking with mild?