Chemex brewing issues with burr grinder

telix

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been using a Chemex for a few years now, but after acquiring a burr grinder things have started acting up. The main issue is that the "cone" is no longer forming along the side of the filter, but instead a coffee "plug" of grounds is forming the majority of the time. I have tried coarser and finer grinds and have not really noticed much of a difference. I have not tried a VERY coarse grind yet, however.

My method of brewing is this:
- Use Hario hand grinder to grind enough beans to get me 6tbsp worth of grounds, put into chemex filter
- Boil filtered water in kettle
- When water is boiling, pour into Pyrex measuring cup (24 oz for 6tbsp of grounds) and let sit for a bit to cool off from the boil
- Pour over grounds to bloom them
- After bloom, pour directly in the center of grounds until it reaches the top of the chemex
- After enough has filtered through, add rest of water

What happens is that a thick paste of grounds ends up at the bottom of the chemex, rather than a clean cone as I got almost all the time with my cheap blade grinder. This makes the brew take quite a long time and is what I understand to be not "right".

Any advice would be helpful in terms of Chemex grind.

peterking

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
My vote goes to Chemex. For me that is the best and simplest way to brew a great cup of coffee. You have full control over the brewing temperature and the only material and the coffee comes into contact only with glass - no metal or plastic. The Chemex filters are also quite special - they let through much more flavor than other paper filters (I use the unbleached filters). As for a grinder, I have an old Zassenhaus. This combination works great for me.