How do i make latte art?

danielfsalinger

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Every time i try to make a latte, i try to make some artistic thing in it. My cream, on the other hand, is usually not thick enough, and i am struggling to find the secret behind latte art?

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
i asked the same question when i first started out...i was getting so frustrated at times i felt like just giving the whole thing up...but check out latte art on youtube...there you will catch a few visual tips regarding the steaming as well as some of the pouring and etching...ive let my staff watch the scottie callaghan videos plenty times...it inspired them like you wont believe...
believe me, its much easier to learn by watching someone do it, rather than reading how.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
Hi Daniel

Mircrofoam is basically, when you steam your milk at 60degreesC (think thats about 140 Degrees F), and you place your steaming nozzle at the right position to make bubbles that are almost invisible, just making your milk a little bit thicker (creamier) than when you started with your cold milk...
this type of milk is ideal to create latte art...that includes pouring and etching...
if you let too much air into your milk by steaming, you will end up with an egg white texture...(if that means anything to you)...
Google microfoam for more technical bits on it...
I taught my staff to listen to the noise the steamer makes while steaming, and be coming to recognise what the 'right' milk should sound like, its easier to achieve a more constant texture.