The mystery of brewing Malaysian Liberica with Syphon method

Just Want Cafe

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Syphon coffee, when the first time my friend use it to brew coffee for us, I were not quite impressed about it. Rather than that, I wonder why people use the lab's instrument that for chemical purpose, in brewing coffee??

syphon1.JPG

I wasn't a coffee addicted or some sort of coffee lover or crazy so much about coffee. Instead, I know very little about coffee.

After a few sip of the coffee made by syphon brewer, I did not really know what's the different between that with the normal coffee that I brew from my cheap 10 bucks coffee maker. But, since friend of mine was so friendly and spent his time for us, there was no way I could say "Hey dude, your coffee makes no different than others, ya?"

However, because of my best friend, I start to learn more about coffee, and he loves it, he wants to introduce good coffee to more of his friends.

After that, I am back to the States from Malaysia. For sure I am still keep doing more research about coffee, because I started to love it!

People said that the sweetness always come after bitter for our life. This statement is true for coffee, and is specially true for Malaysian Liberica.

Malaysian Liberica is so different than any other kind of it's close family, Liberica. The main reason is because Malaysia is a country which located in the equatorial. There are a lot of rain fall and sun shine all years long. There is only one season there -- Summer.

When a lot of rain fall and sun shine, that provide a lot of energy for Malaysian Liberica to be grown. The environment makes this species in Malaysia unique. Well that's a song for it, "Bigger Harder Stronger Faster". :)

And also because of this, the regular brewing machine can't make the full flavor out from Malaysian Liberica easily, because it is special.

So, after I am back to the States, all in the sudden I remember there was a funny thing that makes coffee, which is syphon coffee. Without thinking a little bit more, I purchased one of these and want to tried at home myself.

syphon2.JPG

For sure that I brewed a lot of Malaysian Liberica during this trial. But no matter how I brew it, it tasted worst than I brew it with my cheap 10 bucks coffee maker. I do not know why?

I think, maybe this is it for Malaysian Liberica???

Especially for those Malaysian Liberica that I had roasted for more than a month, the taste is weird by using syphon brewing method! It tasted so weird!

But this wasn't stop me for keep trying, because I knew that this wasn't it!

I am thinking of, since Malaysian Liberica is unique from others species, maybe, I should use a different way to deal with them???

I found out I was right about this!

I changed the way how I usually brew the Malaysian Liberica, I gave more time for the coffee to sit within the syphon and brewing it, close the cap and make it re-circulated inside for a lot longer.

Basically, I increased the brewing time for Malayisan Liberica.

I wasn't gave a lot of hope on this trial to be frank. But, once I sip some of it, that was really impressed me!

The flavor is back! The coffee taste are all around my mouth and stay for so long! That I had never had that feeling before, ever! The smell is so strong, even I served it with other sweet dessert, the smell still very outstanding and last long!

Now, I finally understand what's the different between brewing coffee with cheap coffee maker and syphon coffee. Don't laugh at me because I was really a real moron. :)

Syphon coffee really gave the coffee maker to control the timing and the taste. It is a tool to connect the coffee makers and the coffee. In order to brew a good coffee, a good coffee maker can never match with a person who spend time and soul into talking to the coffee. And syphon brewer, is the tool of communication between coffee maker and the coffee itself!

syphon3.jpg

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
What i don't understand is why Liberica is more expensive than their Kenya AA. If your Kenya is a specialty grade there is no way the Liberica should be more expensive. Order of quality..and correct me if I am wrong. Rubusta, Liberica then Arabica. Taste wise from what I have heard taste is in the same order..rubusta being least flavorful to Arabica being best. Any thoughts?

Just Want Cafe

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
topher said:
What i don't understand is why Liberica is more expensive than their Kenya AA. If your Kenya is a specialty grade there is no way the Liberica should be more expensive. Order of quality..and correct me if I am wrong. Rubusta, Liberica then Arabica. Taste wise from what I have heard taste is in the same order..rubusta being least flavorful to Arabica being best. Any thoughts?

Agree with you about the Robusta part...

To be frank with you, if you are talking about taste it individually, I agree with how you arrange the taste numbering.
For most Arabica, it tastes better than Liberica and Robusta. But what makes Liberica different is that the taste last long and heavy inside your mouth. Not like Arabica, taste good, and gone fast too. Comparing Arabica and Liberica just like comparing orange and apple, they are two different category.

Liberica is selling expensive than Kenya AA is because..... very simple -> low sourcing.

Because of this species are not well spread on the market, so it is hard to find them, and this raise up the costing, transporting (due to small amount imported), and so on.

Is that make sense? :wink:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Thats cool that you are so passionate about your product but please remember this site is not for self promotion....it is here for people to learn more from each other. I appreciate you following the rules but every picture you post has your company name on it...lets try to back off a bit..Thanks