Help for a newby Barista.

Markd24

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I have a trial as a barista very soon and I am trying to study up so that I won't mess it up. I have some small experience with a barista machine but have forgotten some of the differences between drinks. One in particular is the difference between a Cappuccino and a Latte? I know the espresso shot is the same but what is different about the steaming of the milk. For Cappuccinos, I normally steam the milk so that it is quite foamy. For latte's though, am I supposed to poor it differently or something? Would much appreciate any advice. Also, what are the main coffee drinks that I should know? I'm thinking the most popular would be Americano, Espresso, Latte, Cappuccino, and Mocha. Any others I should ad in there?

Many thanks!!

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Here's Scott Rao's froth vid:

Don't worry too much about drinks..allow the cafe owner to guide you on his/her 'conventions'. A Lot like a bartender, the bar owner may want you to measure, or short the booze! :p

Markd24

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, some very useful resouces here. Yeah youtube is great as there is lots of video tutorials. I'm still confused though over the differenc between making a Latte and a Cappucino? I know a Latte is mostly steamed milk with a little microfoam on top, where as Cappucino is steamed milk and more microfoam? So do you just make the milk more foamy for a Cappucino, and for a Latte, do you use a spoon when you are pooring to hold back the small bit of foam intil the end?

Mar 31, 2011
Seattle, Wa
Visit site
Hey,
I think you pretty much have it. Lattes are more milk with micro-foam on the top of the drink. Cappuccinos are around half milk and half micro-foam. I usually pour my shots, fill the cup half with milk and then put as much tight foam as possible to finish the drink. You can drink cappuccinos "wet" or "dry". Meaning either more milk or more foam depending on your tastes. I like them with 1/2 and 1/2 foam so it's nice and thick :)

Markd24

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Awesome,thanks for the helpful link. So is making a Latte just a matter of steaming the milk differently to a Cappuccino so as to get less foam? So would you just not put as much air in to it with the steam wand?

Markd24

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, one other quick question. Do you poor Latte art for a Cappuccino too such as a Rosetta or Heart, or is this just for Latte's?

Thanks

barista_bg

Apr 15, 2011
Elizabeth City, NC
Visit site
Hey, hope the search and training is going well for you! I have been a working barista for almost 10 years now. I have to say that the coffee world is always changing and I am still looking to see what's new in the industry.
That said, I had the privilege of taking a latte art class with Chris Deferio and Ellie Matusak several years ago. Latte art takes practice, but the real key is getting the milk and espresso right. Think of the milk as a protein with sugars. You're trying to stretch the sweetness of the milk while foaming, not just making foam. Limit the amount of movement you're making and let the milk swirl and move for you. This will make the best milk in my opinion.
For latte art, try swirling the espresso in the cup right before you start your pour to break up the surface tension (not to rough though) and you'll find that it moves so much better for you to do latte art with.
Best of luck!

barista_bg

Apr 15, 2011
Elizabeth City, NC
Visit site
Latte foam just requires a small bit of stretching right at the beginning, then submerge and let it swirl. Capp foam requires a slightly longer stretch. Be sure to not make foam past 100 degrees, that just makes "seafoam"(stop foaming when you just start feeling heat from the picher)