Cold Press Coffee - lose caffeine content over time?

kpettie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I love iced coffees (cold-press/cold brewed) and have just started looking into making my own at home.

A few questions:
1) I thought coffee lost it's caffeine content over time (I've heard a rumor that Starbucks employees actually toss out their brewed coffee every two hours to ensure consistent caffeine content). So, if I make cold-brewed coffee, the concentrate result sits in my fridge for a day or two... does that mean that on the second or third day I may be drinking coffee with no caffeine (as a proud coffee/caffeine addict... that would be unacceptable).

2) Anyone have any fantastic hints for brewing the best cold-press coffee?

3) Are there any health benefits/disadvantages to drinking cold-press coffee as opposed to standard brewed coffee?

Thanks for your input!!

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
kpettie,
1. Coffee does not lose caffeine content over time. SB probably throws out coffee after 2 hours b/c the taste of the coffee starts to change. A quality thing.
2. I absolutely love cold brew coffee. My favorite way to make it is using a Toddy cold brewer. Google it...there are lots of websites that sell it. Alternatively, you could use a large french press. Either way, you allow ground coffee to sit in cold water for 12-24 hrs, then drain the concentrate. Here are some instructions. I prefer an African coffee...Kenya used to be my preference, but now that the price is sky-high, I use another African coffee blend that has a similar acidity.
3. Cold brew coffee is somewhat less acidy, so is a little kinder to your tummy if that's an issue.

Now I'm going to go and make myself a decaf iced coffee!

Ellen