How Do You Make a Frozen Cappuccino?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've recently had a lot of people coming into the cafe asking for frozen cappuccinos. We've only been making cappuccinos, lattes, mochas, etc "over ice," but now people seem to want them "frozen" like Starbucks or WaWa makes them. Has anyone created something that's equivalent? I've tried putting a shot of espresso, with some milk in a blender with crushed ice, but that doesn't seem to satisfy. Any ideas?

Rose

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I have never had any one of those drinks, but a lot of "thick" beverages, cold or hot, are made using carrageenan. Don't know if that is the case in this instance. Be aware that there are numerous types, some specifically for cold and some for hot beverages.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I guess that's my problem...I've also never had one of those drinks. People describe them as, not like smoothie, not like a milk shake, not like a slushy (with crushed ice), and it's not really frozen.

There is a picture of them on the WaWa website:
Wawa - Coffee & Beverages

I'm not too sure if "the boss" would want me to experiment with a thickener like carrageenan. Plus, it would add to the overall cost of making the drinks.
It looks like even if I came up with a way to make the "frozen" drinks, there would be no way we'd be able to compete with the big-chain prices.

Rose

Hi Rose,

I saw this recipe on Mima Recipes. It looks pretty good. It's worth a try.

"Put 1/3 cup of finely ground espresso-roasted coffee, or other dark roast coffee, in a paper-lined coffee filter set over a mug. Pour 1 cup of hot (190 degrees) water into the filter and let it drip through. Chill until cool.

In a blender, mix the coffee and ¾ cup of vanilla non-fat frozen yoghurt, ½ cup of ice cubes and 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar until smoothly pureed. Pour into a glass."

Cheers

Brian

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks Brian,

That recipe sounds like something I'd want to try at home.

I'm not too sure about the possibility of having frozen yogurt on hand in the cafe where I work.

Rose