Toddy Problems

tflavin

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello! I made my first batch of Toddy cold brew this morning and I think I must have done something wrong. I went to my local roaster and got the pound of dark roast she suggested for cold brewing. Then I made the coffee exactly to their instructions (nine cups for a pound), waited 13ish hours and...meh.

It's drinkable. Everyone describes the concentrate as "syrupy" but it looks like plain liquid to me...albeit very dark in color. After dilution and drinking cold with milk the taste is bland, and somewhat bitter on the back of the tongue. I don't know the proper terminology for this, but there is no "front end" to the flavor...just watery up front with a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

Did I do something wrong?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Toddy isn't for everyone. I personally can't stand it. To me Toddy coffee is just soft and boring. It doesn't pop out like a fresh cup would and I would even take an Americano over a Toddy any day of the week.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I used to make Tody in house for iced coffee coolers(milk/toddy/flavoring syrup) We always let it set for 24 hours. I am not a big fan of it but have friends that swear by it.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
making Toddy coffee

You may want to try using a different coffee. I prefer to use a coffee that is medium-roasted, with a bit of acidity, such as a Central American, and ground for drip. Mine has a nice, round, complex flavor. Now the flavor is quite different that coffee brewed using hot water. I like cold brew coffee for iced coffee or an iced latte, and hot brewed coffee for hot coffee. I use about the same ratio of coffee to water, and I will let it steep for 12-24 hours. I think 13 hours was probably a good length of time. Try it again...the iced coffee is absolutely delightful!