Homemade Frappe base

bzy1

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone make their own Frappe base? I am not happy with the ones available here and the cost. I would prefer a powder based recipe, please.

TheJavaBean

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have experimented using xanthan gum in my recipes, although I have not perfected it, so I decided to not use it in my store yet. I was using Torani syrup flavoring, milk, and ice..then you can add xanthan gum to thicken it and keep the consistency correct. You could try that out...just play with it a bit. The xanthan gum has no flavor so you don't have to worry about that...it is used in many things like salad dressings, baking, and ice cream to keep consistencies.

mauriciolarrondo

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello:

I make my own frappe base for my granita machine (Cecilware, Bunn, etc)

in order to make 4 lts of frappe mix:

2-2.5 lts of water
1 lt of milk
500 gr. of sugar.
12 espressos.

I hope this works, the trick in order to do any mix that goes into a granita machine is to respect a 125 grams of sugar per liter ratio.

Greetings

bzy1

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Frapppe bases here (dry) are about 5 to 6 times as much as they are in the States and hard to find. SO making my own is an option.
For chocolate, I now mix powdered cocoa, Nesquick, whole powdered milk and some Xanthan or Guar gum powder and it makes a great base and very economical. For vanilla, I am still buying a base but I will soon mix my own and use a vanilla flavored milk powder. Good luck!

SNLbirdy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I make a creamy sweet delicious frappe base using 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 1/2 c. hot water and 1/4 c. instant espresso powder. Flavor to taste with whatever syrups you like and blend with ice. Nearly as good as the old starbuck fraps.

taaammy

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Frozen Bean

Hello there, if you are all having trouble find a Frappe base, instead of making my own base, I've been using Frozen Bean powdered products for awhile now and its been great. All of my customers love it and I personally think its a lot better than all the ones I've tried before. The flavoring is a lot more richer. I think they are still giving out free samples if you'd want to give them a test run first. You can find it off their website thefrozenbean .com Good luck!

stephen12

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I didn't own this recipe.. I just search it. Hoping it will help you.

Homemade Frappe Mix

Ingredients

1/2 c instant coffee (adjust to taste) (don't do caffeine? use decaf!)
1 cup sugar
1 cup non-fat dry milk powder (one package)
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1/3 cup baking cocoa (adjust to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Mix all ingredients together well (I like to dump them all in my food processor to mix well).
If you like a stronger/weaker coffee or mocha flavor, adjust those two ingredients accordingly.
Stores perfectly in a 1 quart jar for up to a year.

To make a perfect frappe/iced capp.
1 1/2 cup crushed ice + 1/3 cup mocha mix + 1/4 cup water + 1/4 cup milk = Bliss
I like to toss my crushed ice into my food processor first and blend until it looks a bit like snow, add mix & water, process until well blended and then add in my milk. I blend just until it's mixed (7-10 seconds).

eclecticsoha

May 12, 2014
Visit site
hey! first time posting! i think i came up with a great base that we are going to start using at our cafe. here it is:

8c brewed espresso roast or dark roast
1 1/2 c neutral slush base (the kind you would use for snow cones)
2c heavy whipping cream
6 espresso shots
1/2 tsp xanthan gum or similar

hyacinth69

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
  • 1/2 c instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar or Splenda
  • 1 cup non-fat dry milk powder
  • 1 cup powdered (name brand) non-dairy creamer
  • 1/3 cup baking cocoa (adjust to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix and spoon to taste into your drink. Use syrups like Monin chocolate cherry or any flavor to jazz up your frappe'.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
  • 1/2 c instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar or Splenda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix and spoon to taste into your drink. Use syrups like Monin chocolate cherry or any flavor to jazz up your frappe'.

Hello "hyancinth69"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums.

I'm curious.

Assuming that you put the homemade frappe base mix into a blender with water (or crushed ice??), how much water (or ice) and how much of the mix do you recommend that people use?

Rose

HoneyDew

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
  • 1/2 c instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar or Splenda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

I wonder if you can replace the instant with some espresso shots