Italian Coffee Drinks - How to Order Coffee in an Italian Bar

tracy6413

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Visit site
Most Italians on their way to work go to a bar for coffee. You should too. Well, not that vacation is so much work, you just need to drink a real coffee from one of those fancy machines they have in Italy. Here are some of the most popular coffee drinks served in an Italian bar.
Caffè (kah-FE) - We might call it espresso; a small cup of very strong coffee, topped with a caramel-colored foam called "crema", a very important element in the best examples.
Caffè Hag is a decafinated version. You can order a "decafinato" as well; Hag is the name of the largest producer of Italian decaf coffee and that's the way you'll see it on many bar menu boards.
You can order a straight coffee (un caffe) any time of night or day. Italians stay away from Cappuccino after about 11. If you see a bunch of people sitting around drinking cappuccini at three in the afternoon, congratulations, you've found the tourist bar.
[h=3]Altering the way your Caffè is Made[/h] Caffè lungo (Kah-FE LOON-go) - a long coffee. They'll let the water pour from the machine until the coffee becomes weak and bitter. Also called a Caffè Americano or American Coffee, which is also expressed as acqua sporca, or "dirty water" by Italians.
Caffè ristretto (kah-FE ri-STRE-to) - a "restricted coffee" or one in which the stream of coffee is stopped before the normal amount. The essense of coffee, concentrated but should not be bitter.
[h=3]Modifying your Caffè - Additions to Espresso[/h] Caffè con panna - espresso with sweet whipped cream
Caffè con zucchero (ZU-kero) - espresso with sugar. Usually, you'll add your own from a container at the bar, but in some places, especially in the south around Naples, the coffee comes with sugar and you have to order it "sensa zucchero" or without sugar if you don't like it sweet.
Caffè corretto (kah-FE ko-RE-to) - coffee "corrected" with a drizzle of liquor. I like sambuca, but most prefer conac or grappa.
Caffè macchiato (kah-FE mahk-YAH-to) - coffee "stained" with milk, usually just a bit of foam on top of the espresso.
Caffè latte (kah-FE LAH-te) - Espresso with hot milk, a cappuccino without the foam usually served in a glass. This is what you might call a "latte" in the US. In Italy, outside of tourist joints, you run the risk of getting what you asked for - milk, or worse yet, steamed milk

Yarbooa

Aug 21, 2011
Israel
Visit site
Great info! Two things I remember from Italian coffee bars. One - that coffee was really good, and two - we almost never had a vacant seat, so we had our espresso standing next to tall tables (like true Italians) and it was really cool.

Cheers.

Angelina

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I looked in the archives but could not find much information on this roaster. I have a Ender roaster that malfunctions during the roasting cycle. It reaches roasting temperature but then cycles on and off more than normal resulting in an overall insufficient roasting temperature. Does anyone know the part that is defective and can it be repaired?