Making a macchiato?

droopdog7

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I am in the market for a new espresso machine so that my wife can have her caramel macchiato at home. Seriously considering a Nespresso since they seem to be very user friendly and from what I hear, make decent espresso.

Anyway, I'm looking for help on two things.

First, can anyone recommend something better for the price (around $350 with frother). Would cheap machine be just as good or easier to use or both since she likes to flavor her drinks anyway?

Second, can anyone approximate the amount milk I would need for a 12 ounce drink? My wife actually likes macchiato's (from Starbucks) and it seems to me, they have a good deal of milk. Or I could be completely wrong? One of the concerns I already have about the Nespresso frother is that it can only froth 4 ounces of milk at a time, which I don't think is enough for a 12 ounce macchiato.

Anyway, general or specific suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

ChrisMSNT

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Whole Latte Love has some great videos and such:

Removed link: they won't let me put a link in here. Thus, go to YouTube and search Whole Latte Love Caramel Macchiato.
Chris

Hi droopdog, what you refer to is a Latte Machiatto- not a traditional one. Traditionally machiatto's are a shot (sometimes short) with a dollop of foamed milk ontop. For a Latte Machiatto (ALA Starbucks) you indeed need to use a lot of milk and flavoring. I would think that while the NEspresso machine can deliver the shot ok- it may struggle with the volume of milk as you have mentioned. There are a lot of good home use machines out there- I would suggest you have a look-see and then make a decision

Latest posts