lactose intolerant

G

a new roommate just moved in, i tried to offer him coffee with milk in it and he kinda freaked out, i dont know any alternatives to milk and he says he donsent like soy products so if any one can help me that would be cool

The-D

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
What about rice milk or is that the same thing? Or if i can remember back God only knows how far, there was once a thing called non dairy creamer that came in little pots, but I'm not sure if it contained lactose, and I've not seen it for a while.

MochaFan92691

Reply to The D-Man!

"a new roommate just moved in, i tried to offer him coffee with milk in it and he kinda freaked out, i dont know any alternatives to milk and he says he donsent like soy products so if any one can help me that would be cool "

D-Man,
Your local grocery store should have a milk in a carton called Lactaid, or be marked "For lactose intolerance". My Mom can't eat ice cream or drink milk, but she CAN drink the Lactaid Milk.
I've tried it, and used it in desserts and recipies that call for a lot of milk (Like FLAN, Mexican Custard) and you cannot taste the difference! I just got a cheap espresso machine (Mr. Coffee) and made my first Soy Mocha tonight...< Soy milk (I quite like the taste), Espresso, and Hershey's choc. syrup>... and all I can say is "There goes my $4 a day over priced coffee store habit, Yipeeeeeeeee".
Good luck with your new roomie!

fiagt2

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
Get the Soy milk from COSTCO. My suggestion was not clear, just try the Soy at Starbucks then you can descide if Soy is for you. The max temperature to heat Soy Milk is 150F.

G

They have flavored soy available such as vanilla. Have they tried it? It takes better than plain

josiebojo

Feb 21, 2005
Kennewick, WA
Visit site
Lactaid puts out a milk that is supposed to be drinkable by people who are Lactose in tolerant. I've used it for some of my customers who do not like soy milk. They find it tastes good in coffee drinks. I can't say I have actually tried it.

Angelo

Mar 8, 2005
Visit site
I also recommend Lactaid. I've been drinking it for many years now and it's just like regular milk. Actually it is regular milk except certain sugars are already broken down for those who can't do it naturally. Though I'm not lactose intollerant my mother is. That's how I got started with Lactaid. It comes in skim, 1%, 2%, and whole. There's a chocolate milk version too which may be interesting to try with coffee.

Good luck!

Angelo

frozenx-plosion

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I am allergic to dairy so I drink a lot of soy! I would suggest the vanilla flavor!
Angelo said:
I also recommend Lactaid. I've been drinking it for many years now and it's just like regular milk. Actually it is regular milk except certain sugars are already broken down for those who can't do it naturally. Though I'm not lactose intollerant my mother is. That's how I got started with Lactaid. It comes in skim, 1%, 2%, and whole. There's a chocolate milk version too which may be interesting to try with coffee.

Good luck!

Angelo

mikefly

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
well the last time i checked you cant milk a soy bean!!!!! Goats milk is an acceptable substitue and it really doesnt taste that bad....i

luvncoffee

Jun 9, 2005
Idaho
Visit site
Rice milk all the way baby!!! Sometimes called rice dream it also comes in flavored :vanilla ect.... I think it is cheaper and tastes much better than SOY!! 8) most coffe shops here carry it.