Making Frappuccinos

EZOnCaffine

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. This is my first post and I am a rather moderate coffee drinker. I cannot handle too much caffeine :decaf:, but I like a good Frappuccino. How do I go about making one?

First, what is the best way to chill the coffee? At Starbucks they appear to pour hot coffee into a metallic container and refrigerate it. My question here is if the container is a simple thermos, wouldn’t that keep the coffee hot? Or is it just a matter of leaving the thermos containing the coffee in the refrigerator long enough?

I would appreciate some recommendations on containers and techniques for chilling coffee

Second, I could use a few recipes (if that is the right phrase for a coffee creation) for vanilla, caramel and mocha Frappuccinos.

Third, what is the best type of dairy to use for a "light" Frappuccino without having it taste watered down?

Thanks in advance for any replies

CoffeeCrazed

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey there!

I was just enjoying my own cool Starbucks style Frappuccino here (because much as I love a hot cup of joe I am melting in this heat), when I spied your thread. Here is what I do:

• 2 shots (3 oz.) espresso
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
  • 1 Tbls. pectin OR 1 tsp. pectin + 1 tsp. arrowroot

1. Stir sugar into espresso. Cool mixture.
  2. Stir milk and pectin into espresso mixture until pectin is dissolved.
  3. Fill a glass with ice and either serve mixture over ice, or pour glass contents into blender and blend for 30-45 seconds. Enjoy!

Enjoy!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I tried to find some of the posts that we've had on the Coffee Forum regarding ways people make Frappucinos.

I found one thread so far, and I'll keep looking. http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-drinks/1349-what-secret-good-frapp.html

Are you making the Frappucinos at home or are you using a pre-set bender in a cafe?

If you're making it at home, you can always adjust the amount of ice that you use in the blender. Also, if you use regular milk instead of low-fat milk, you'll get less of a watery taste. Some people chill the espresso shots before putting them in the blender - or just letting them sit for a minute helps to get the temperature down so they don't melt the ice as much and make it watery.

Some people make coffee ice cubes and blend them along with the espresso and syrup.

If you keep experimenting, you'll eventually come up with a Frappuccino recipe that's absolutely perfect for you.

Rose

Last edited:

murtagh

Aug 17, 2012
India
Visit site
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Found this great recipe online for making a Frappuccino just like the Starbucks one

Ingredients:
[/FONT]
  • Approximately 2 cups of crushed ice
  • About 2 shots of espresso
  • Around 3/4[SUP]th[/SUP] cup of milk (any milk of your choice; I use skimmed milk)
  • Sugar according to your taste (I use around 2 tablespoons)
  • A little bit of whipped cream, and
  • Chocolate Syrup (little bit)
1. Put all the ingredients except the whipped cream and chocolate syrup in a blender and blend the mixture for about 40 seconds
2. After that, simply pour into a tall glass and top it off with whipped cream and garnish your iced coffee with some chocolate syrup

Hope this helps :)

ReeseGomez

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I love cooking Frappuccino, though, I managed to come up with a good and tasty drink not from the first time. I would say, that there are numerous recepies, but the practice also matters much, as you need to practically find out the right way to adjust amount of ice you put into your drink, according to cuisinian.com. Plus, it took me some time to figure out the right milk to use for the drink.

gsw

Jul 27, 2016
San Diego
Visit site
I used to work at Starbucks many moons ago. The coffee/liquid was pre-made and chilled. Simply add that liquid with ice and blend. If I remember correctly, the liquid was some regular coffee with a powder mix (mostly sugar, flavor and milk powder) and then blend with ice. As previously stated, the proportion is key. I remember the ice is about quarter way up to the liquid in the blender.