Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coffee Sludge.... Good or Bad?

This is a discussion on Coffee Sludge.... Good or Bad? within the Coffee Drinks forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Whenever I brew coffee with my Bodum French Press it always leaves a little sludge at the bottom of my coffee cup. At first I ...

Cool Coffee Sludge.... Good or Bad?

Whenever I brew coffee with my Bodum French Press it always leaves a little sludge at the bottom of my coffee cup. At first I hated the sludge, but now I quite enjoy it. Infact I always look forward to the last little bit of my coffee cup where I get all the sludgy goodness of it. When I pour from my press I always slosh the coffee around to try and pick up more sludge.

I'm wondering... do most people like the coffee sludge or am I just different?

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    Hi tankin_tummy

You're the first person I've even known to admit to really enjoying the sludge. It will be interesting to see if anyone else likes it too.

I've never liked the coffee sludge. I always try to carefully pour the coffee and leave a little in the bottom of the French Press or Moka Pot so I won't pour the sludge into my cup.

Do you drink your coffee straight up, or do you add milk and sweetener?

Rose

I drink it "straight up." I occasionally like to make lattes with coconut milk and honey, but I usually drink it plain. Lol, I try very hard to extract every bit of the coffee sludge that I can. I even shake my press rapidly to squeeze the sludge out.

I've been drinking coffee from a Bodum french press most every morning as of late. However, I don't usually drink the sludge. matter of fact, I do my best to keep it out of the cup but a bit usually makes it past the screen anyway.

With braces I really hate sludge in my cup, hoping to get them off next month though!!!

Super Moderator
    Hi "piratemlia"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

I had to chuckle when I read your post. I remember my son saying the exact same thing.

Im sure the day when you get your braces off will be a very happy day for you.

Right now, you have to worry about getting coffee sludge stuck in your braces. In about 40 years, you'll probably be worrying about getting the little coffee granuals stuck in your receding gums......it's always something!

I hope you'll enjoy exploring the coffee Forums website.

Rose

I actually had an idea thanks to this thread. You know how you like Coffee ice cream? (well I do sometimes). You you think you could use the sludge and add it to vanilla ice cream and have it taste alright? Actually.. I'll get back to you on that, I'll try it and see what happens. I'm thinking the concentration needs to be just right for it to taste good.

I love coffee ice cream! Do my best to keep the sludge out of my cup! I do not mind it per say, but would rather not have it in my cup.

Well, coffee sludge ice cream wasn't half bad! I took the sludge out of the coffee, and added it to a pint of Vanilla. I thawed the vanilla until it was liquid, tossed in the sludge, and popped the mix into the blender and blended for 45 seconds. Poured the contents back into the container and froze. 24 hours later, tasted pretty darn good!

Thanks for the idea lol

Both my wife and I usually enjoy the final quarter mug of properly prepared french press coffee the most, because a small swirl of the mug suspends the small amount of very fine sludge and produces produces a delicious smooth buttery taste and mouth feel.
    I use a preheated, double walled ceramic mug, and I think that is important to keep the last coffee at a temperature that I enjoy the flavor of.

In the past I used an inexpensive flat burr grinder and very briefly a blade grinder. Even the burr grinder did not give me that same delicious taste that the Bodum Bistro conical burr grinder that I now use does. I expect it was to much larger sludge and over extraction of the additional fines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads