Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iced Coffee not Giving me the Same Kick as Normal Coffee?

This is a discussion on Iced Coffee not Giving me the Same Kick as Normal Coffee? within the Coffee Drinks forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Has anyone else noticed this? I sometimes can't stand to drink a hot beverage in the morning, but still like to get in my coffee... ...

Question Iced Coffee not Giving me the Same Kick as Normal Coffee?

Has anyone else noticed this?

I sometimes can't stand to drink a hot beverage in the morning, but still like to get in my coffee... So I'll drink an iced coffee (not cappuchino or anything like that, normal iced coffee).

Now, when I do this, I am noticing that I do not get that same "kick" that I am used to with my morning cup of normal heated coffee....

Has anyone experience similar? Do you think the fact that it is iced has something to do with it?

::

2. # ADS

How are you making the iced coffee?

If its made with the "toddy" method, the beans are extracted in cool water for an extended period of time. There is less acidity present in cool brewed coffee. Maybe less caffeine too?

Also cold coffee will enter the blood stream slower and it might just be the psychological aspect as well.
    Brian

You guys could be right, no way to really be sure..

However, I have brewed the coffee hot and then frozen it myself and still seems to give the same result a sort of "meh tastes good but...." feeling.

I suppose I could try making a stronger batch than my regular coffee and seeing if the upped concentration helps. Flavor is just about the same, only cold..

I was thinking maybe less sugar, but I use the same amounts...

If I remember correctly caffeine extraction from ground beans and hot water yields a higher concentration of caffeine than a cold brew. I think that this has to do with the extraction from the bean rather than caffeines solubility in H2O. I will have to ask a friend of mine for clarification as it has been a while since chemistry class.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkgan View Post
    If I remember correctly caffeine extraction from ground beans and hot water yields a higher concentration of caffeine than a cold brew. I think that this has to do with the extraction from the bean rather than caffeines solubility in H2O. I will have to ask a friend of mine for clarification as it has been a while since chemistry class.
    Hmmm... That would make sense, except I brew the coffee hot, and then put ice in it, sort of the same way you make natural iced tea. I'd never thought of making it with cold water... *shudder* that would probably taste horrible, and watery I imagine.... Although, you have sparked an interest... Time to see if it does work... I have some company coming over.... LOL

Making iced coffee with cold water is a popular method. It changes the flavor profile by leaving the acidity in the bean. But it takes about 12-18 hours to complete the process.

One thing to remember is -- everyone is different -- so caffeine will affect different people differently. So your results may have little to do with what other's experience.

Hot tea really jazzes me, will keep me awake at night, but iced tea has no effect even though it is brewed from the same type of tea (and my iced tea is hot brewed, and strong).

I don't notice much different between hot and cold coffee putting me into hyper-drive (our iced coffee is cold brewed) unless I'm overindulging.

And if you're missing the 'kick' in your iced coffee, just make it stronger. A triple shot of espresso iced coffee doesn't get me going too much but add one more shot and I start to experience lift-off. You may find you follow suit if you 'kick it up a notch'.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

Well, I tried the cold water method... I think I did it wrong.. My coffee turned out like weak tea

Anyone have any tips on how to do it? I assumed it was the same, but I tried to steep it.... Sort of like tea, lust letting the ground beans soak overnight.... I got brown water that tasted like it looked *yuck...

Unfortunately I am not able to share the link to the instruction given on the Toddycafe DOT COM web site as I am new here and have not met the pre-reqs. Please search for Cold Brew Instruction on the site I use that recipe just scaled down and I don't have a Toddy Brewer therefore use a French Press.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads