Latte consistency

maxpower

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I could not think of a better title.

As an introduction... I am in my late 40s and trying to like coffee. I am starting with a brewing device that is supposed to make smooth, less bitter coffee. It is all bitter to me so I don't know if it is doing its job lol For now, I am assuming it is.

To start off with, I am making, what I call, a latte. I can drink coffee if it is at least 50% milk/cream. Especially flavored cream. :)

My question is, what exactly is a latte and how do I know I really made one? lol

This is what I am doing at the moment (1 week into my coffee excursion)...

I have limited equipment at home (the coffee shops are too expensive!) so I may be too limited to get it "right".

I have a stick blender with the traditional blender blade but I also have a whisk attachment. the whisk seems to work better.

What I have tried...
- Half and half
This whips up (for lack of a better term) ok when cold but if it is warm/hot, it is very difficult to get increased volume. I have tried heating before and after. It just goes flat.

- Milk
This does not whip up so much as foam. Heating up after the foaming/frothing works and the result is a fair amount of very light bubbly foam

I prefer the taste of half and half but in either case, the coffee is not noticeably thicker. Is it supposed to be? Should there be any difference (apart from foam) with a "latte" and just adding cream to the coffee?

I suppose if I like the result, who cares? Right? But am I missing out on something if I am not doing it right?

Thanks