Saeco Royal brewing light after cleaning

jbparisi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
First time poster !

I have a Saeco Royal Bar that I LOVE. I've had it for several years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been good about descaling and cleaning on a regular basis without any issues......until now.

I descaled using Saeco's descaling mixutre. Then I removed the brew group, cleaned it with a brush, lightly rinsed it out, dried it off and lubricated the channels. When I put everything back together and made a coffee, I immediately noticed the coffee was thinner than usual. I usually make espresso's and since the cleaning, there is very little creme on top and the color of the espresso is lighter in color and texture. Still drinkable - just lighter.

Just as a note - I usually have the machine plumbed to the home water supply and I have the same issue whether I use the plumbing or the water tank water supply.

Any ideas ?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "jbparisi"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website!

I did a quick search online and came up with several suggestions for your thin/watery coffee problem. I searched for "Saeco Royal brewing problem after cleaning"

Someone sugggests that you adjust your grinder setting. Saeco Royal Pro Brew Group problems - YouTube

I'm not sure if that idea will be useful to you. Did you take it apart again and reassemble it and try it again?

I don't own a Saeco machine, and I don't think my "do all" fix for electronics will help you. (which is turn it off, unplug it and wait a while).

Hopefully someone on the Forum will have other suggesitons for you.

Rose

jbparisi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks PinkRose for the welcome and assistance. Yes I have checked the grinder settings. No change. I have also taken it apart a few times & re-assembled...to no avail. I will continue to search though.....

I did run across a post that might be on to something. While cleaning, I did remove the 'flanged spout' - this is the bent tube on top of the brew unit that is held in place with 2 small phillip screws. Once removed, a small conical spring was exposed (about an inch long). The post I read, refers to a "a black rubber disk or ball" in the hole, at the end of the conical spring. The partsguru.com web site refers to this piece as a "glass seat". I may have lost this piece while cleaning as there is nothing obvious in the hole at the end of the spring.

Does anyone have any experience with this rubber disk/ball/glass seat ? Can I simply buy a replacement or do I need the whole brew piston unit ?

Thanks so much !

jbparisi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well - I have decided to go ahead and purchase a new Brew Group Valve which includes the conical spring and glass seat. I post the group to see if that fixes the problem.

jbparisi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh --- my great coffee is back !

I received and installed the new conical spring with glass seat. PROBLEM FIXED.....so I guess the lesson here is when cleaning the brew unit in the SAECO Royal Coffee Bar, to be careful not to lose the glass seat under the flange tube.

KofeR

Nov 26, 2012
IRE
Visit site
Ahhhh --- my great coffee is back !

I received and installed the new conical spring with glass seat. PROBLEM FIXED.....so I guess the lesson here is when cleaning the brew unit in the SAECO Royal Coffee Bar, to be careful not to lose the glass seat under the flange tube.

I had more or less the same problem with SAECO Idea Cappuccino, the brewing unit also has a spring with a small plastic head ........ Once I removed it for cleaning and I forgot to put it back and the cream of the coffee was gone, and was running to fast. I checked to see if the coffee was to coarse, it was ok, i removed the brewing unit again and realized the problem.
Saeco brewing units have to be very well cleaned. Most of them are made by plastic, easy brake.

Last edited: