espresso machine for new comer?

Ricpac

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
hey all, im interested in purchasing an espresso machine, I currently just do Pour over coffee from my hario v60. i would like an espresso machine to expand my knowledge but also i would like to open a small coffee shop in my neighborhood since there are none. however i see machines that cost 2,000-3,000 dollars. is this necessary? i would eventually like to do latte art and such things but i would need a milk steamer. what do you guys think about a good espresso machine that wont break the budget for home and can get the job done?

Greentide

Nov 28, 2012
Italy
Visit site
Hi Ricpac,
do you need a fully automatic espresso machine, semi automatic or manual?
how many coffees you'll think you're doing?

Bye

Last edited:

Ricpac

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

CuppaCoffee

Feb 28, 2012
NY
Visit site
Simply put here are the basic differences:
Super Automatic Machine which are the easiest to use, have the lowest learning curve, but are also the most expensive type of machine. These machines do all the work with the press of a button - grind, dose, tamp, brew and eject the used grinds.

Fully Automatic Espresso Machines need only press an on/off switch once and the espresso maker will automatically control the volume of water that is dispensed through the coffee grounds and when the pre-determined amount of espresso is brewed, the espresso maker will stop on its own. Unlike the Super Automatic, users first grind their chosen coffee properly and also tamp the coffee properly so it fits correctly into the portafilter. Next, the portafilter needs to be attached to the espresso machine and the on/off switch pressed. Because of the pricing this is mostly used in commercial settings.

Semi Automatic Espresso Machines are the most popular style chosen for home use because they produce an excellent product and automate a lot of thing for you but still give control over how your shot of espresso will progress. Unlike the Fully Automatic, aside for pressing the on/off switch to begin, once the desired espresso is extracted from the machine the switch needs to be turned off; thereby controlling how much water is released.

Manual Espresso Machines which are traditional style machines are recommended for true coffee aficionados and those who truly enjoy the process and effort involved in making a cup of espresso. This machine is piston-driven and requires the operator of the machine to pump the lever to pressurize the hot water and send it over the coffee grounds to pull the shot. Manual espresso machines are totally dependent on the user focusing on the pull of the lever.

As a newbie, the Semi would be your best choice for your first espresso machine, not too expensive and fairly simple to use. The Gaggia Classic is a great choice- very popular because of its many great features. Make sure you budget as well for a good grinder. Good Luck!

Ricpac

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Simply put here are the basic differences:
Super Automatic Machine which are the easiest to use, have the lowest learning curve, but are also the most expensive type of machine. These machines do all the work with the press of a button - grind, dose, tamp, brew and eject the used grinds.

Fully Automatic Espresso Machines need only press an on/off switch once and the espresso maker will automatically control the volume of water that is dispensed through the coffee grounds and when the pre-determined amount of espresso is brewed, the espresso maker will stop on its own. Unlike the Super Automatic, users first grind their chosen coffee properly and also tamp the coffee properly so it fits correctly into the portafilter. Next, the portafilter needs to be attached to the espresso machine and the on/off switch pressed. Because of the pricing this is mostly used in commercial settings.

Semi Automatic Espresso Machines are the most popular style chosen for home use because they produce an excellent product and automate a lot of thing for you but still give control over how your shot of espresso will progress. Unlike the Fully Automatic, aside for pressing the on/off switch to begin, once the desired espresso is extracted from the machine the switch needs to be turned off; thereby controlling how much water is released.

Manual Espresso Machines which are traditional style machines are recommended for true coffee aficionados and those who truly enjoy the process and effort involved in making a cup of espresso. This machine is piston-driven and requires the operator of the machine to pump the lever to pressurize the hot water and send it over the coffee grounds to pull the shot. Manual espresso machines are totally dependent on the user focusing on the pull of the lever.

As a newbie, the Semi would be your best choice for your first espresso machine, not too expensive and fairly simple to use. The Gaggia Classic is a great choice- very popular because of its many great features. Make sure you budget as well for a good grinder. Good Luck!

thank you so much cup. this is the grinder i have Amazon.com: Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill: Kitchen & Dining not the best but ive had it for about 3 years now. is there anybody grinder that will be good not only for espresso but for pour over also? that is mostly how i make my and my girlfriends coffee.

EspressoErb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
There are so many machines out there that would work great for you at home that I am not even going to try to recommend one. All I wanted to say was buy a machine that works well for you at home and learn how to do espresso. If you still like it and want to do a shop buy your commercial machine based on your business plan. Rarely will a machine that is appropriate for your home be the right machine to use in a shop environment. Plus it sounds like you have a lot of learning to do so your first machine will probably not be your favorite. I know mine isn't!

I also discovered really quickly that I should have spent a lot more money on my grinder. I have a Rancilio rocky and it barely gets the job done for great espresso. Buy the best grinder you can afford and then use the money you have left for the machine. I cannot emphasize this point enough. If I were to do all this over again that is how I would approach things.

Good luck on your quest!