Step-up transformer

shaka778

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all tried searching but turned up nothing so i thought i would ask here. Im in the process of building the mobile cart for my business but have received my espresso machine and would like to hook it up at home to use it. Only thing is i dont have another 220V outlet and dont really feel capable of wireing a new one. So my question is has anyone used a Step-up converter to plug in a 220v machine into a 120v outlet. I been searching and all i seem to find are over seas distributors. Anyone ever bought/used one? and what company did you buy from? any help would be greatly appreciated.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Would the converter be able to supply enough wattage to run the espresso machine properly without messing up the electronic components?

Are these examples of what you're looking for?

Amazon.com: 220v converter

If you scroll down this page you'll see some responses to a similar question:
Can I plug a 220V device into a 110V plug? - Yahoo! Answers

If you have an electric dryer in your house, you may be able to use that 220v outlet for the espresso machine, but you may not want to be making coffee in your laundry room.

Rose

hotrod351

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
the wiring is really pretty simple. every, well 95%, of homes have 220. find a local electrical contractor and he will do it for cheap. cheaper than a convertor. i really would trust a convertor with a coffee maker because of the wattage it draws. do some searching on the old internet and you will see how easy it is. might look intimating at first bur its not rocket science.

EspressoErb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Like PinkRose said you really need to consider the wattage of your machine. Stepping up the voltage does nothing to increase the Amperage (power) of the circuit. Therefore if you are plugging into a 15A circuit (typical in residential) and you need a 20A circuit, you are going to trip the breaker every time you turn it on. In my home I had to install a dedicated (no other anything plugged into it) 20A circuit to run my La Spazialle News EK. It's a single grouphead machine with a 2000W heater in the boiler. I agree with hotrod351. Get an electrician to help you do it right and don't risk damaging your new machine.

shaka778

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
pink rose, yes those where the ones i was looking at i wanted to set up in my kitchen as my dryer is outside in my car port. also if i do decide to plug it in there the plug in is different from the receiving end on the wall, so will i just have to alter the male end on my espresso machine to work or change the outlet (if i do that then i cant dry my clothes lol)

espressoerb, thanks for clearing that up while i was searching i found one with appropriatte wattage my machine is 3200 but never saw anything about ampage so no matter what converter i get it wont work because there is not enough amps going to it, got it.

Hot rod, i may just have to do it myself im decently handy around the house was just worried about shocking myself, i have kids so they will turn my hair white without the help of electricity lol. I was trying to stay away from altering the house as i do rent right now .

thanks for all the advice