Need new carafe/beaker for French press

George_Newman

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement carafe/beaker for a French press (photo attached), brand unknown. The carafe measures:

15 cm tall
9 cm top outside diameter (slight lip)
8.6 cm (3-3/8") body outside diameter

This last dimension is critical, because the carafe is a friction fit in the metal base.

On the carafe is printed:

PYREX

For boiling water
Caution
refrain from flame [nice translation]

It looks so much like a La Cafetiere “Wave” that I emailed the company's customer service in hopes it was an older model, but I haven't heard back, and none of the replacement beakers on the La Cafetiere website is the right diameter.

Any help in locating a replacement will be very much appreciated.

George Newman

Attachments

• French press.jpg
    French press.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,102

George_Newman

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Topher and Rose,

Thanks for the tips. I've done some further poking around, and I think the press may be from Creative Cookware -- sure looks like it.

I've emailed them to see if they can tell me the diameter of their replacement beaker, and if that checks out, I should be in business.

George

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
evanclosson...it is wee bit less expensive and not as well made. I used to sell them and the filters would pop free where they fold over on the top...not sure if that made sense...I just remember that they didn't last as long as bodums. I have had one of my bodums for over 15 years.

George_Newman

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
>> How does that French Press fair vs something like a Bodum?

Evan, the big difference is that if it were a Bodum I could find a replacement beaker easily <g>.

Topher, I talked to EG&H, and the diameter of their 6-cup beaker is 3.5 inches, so it won't fit my press. Still hoping to hear something from Creative Cookware . . .

George

George_Newman

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
There you go being all logical.

It's not just a matter of making coffee. The pot belonged to my mother-in-law, who died in October; I'd like to get it fixed up for my daughter, her granddaughter.

George

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
George,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mother-In-Law. It's very nice of you to try to fix her French Press for your daughter.

It may take some more time and searching, but I have a feeling you'll eventually find what you're looking for, especially since you're not in a hurry to fix it for making coffee.

Rose

George_Newman

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Topher, your first reaction -- EG&H -- was right on the money. They were able to supply a replacement beaker, which arrived today. This will be the hit of the Christmas season, I guarantee!

Thanks (everybody) for your help.

George