Gaggia carezza - coroding alum boiler due to dist. water. Clean and reuse or replace

nsimov

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Had the machine for 3 years now, always used distilled water. Liked the taste and didn't want to deal with descaling. However, noticed that some metal particles coming out of the filter group. Took the boiler apart and I noticed some pitting. I also saw all those bits that I wasn't able to purge by running water (1st pic) through the machine.
Do I just clean those bits and specs and the boiler and continue using it (with normal water this time to prevent more corrosion) or do I need to replace the boiler? On the bright side, there was no scale build up whatsoever, lol

Thanks.

Please see the pics.

IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3642.JPG

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It is very interesting to see all those rusting on your boiler....and its only 3 years old. And you are only using distilled water.... My first guess was if you were near the water treatment center.... lol.... I have seen some boiler doing because of high content of Chloride in the water... but in your case, that would not be possible. I would not replace the boiler unless you have to compromise the taste.... But I am only guessing... Good luck..