Can anyone recommend a stove top percolated

This is a discussion on Can anyone recommend a stove top percolated within the Coffee and Espresso Machines forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Hi all Does any one have any experience using percolates on a camping stove top please? What types give the best results? Cheers Bill...

Hi all
    Does any one have any experience using percolates on a camping stove top please?
    What types give the best results?
    Cheers
    Bill

2. # ADS

I bought a 3-cup Rapid Brew for camping (I normally go solo), and found it adequate. Percolators *must* be watched, and not allowed to boil...and mine being about the same size as the burner on my Coleman stove, I have to set it to one side (the grate really isn't suitable for this small of coffee pot), and babysit it the entire time. I'll be switching to my Wear-ever 2-cup dripolator from now on.

Percolators generally make an inferior brew because they overextract the coffee. However, they will do when in a pinch!

Have you thought about an Aeropress or a vaccuum pot brewer? I have used both while camping and they work great. When we go camping, I use a hand grinder and an Aeropress with a cheap kettle to boil the water in. Simple.

Thanks guys for the replies, Bcotton, I have never come across an aeropress, but I am going to have a look around for one and do some research on them, thanks ever so much for bringing them
    To my attention,
    I would like that experience first thing in the morning when wild camping,
    Cheers again
    Bill

I have the 8 cup Ozark Trail stainless percolator that walmart sells in the camping section. It works well as a stove top percolator, but I don't think it is something I would want to pack along on a camping trip. I would just make cowboy coffee; steep coffee grounds in a cooking pot over a fire and decant the liquid. If a few grounds get stuck in your teeth, hey, that's the stuff camping is all about

Thx bob, are you saying out offer beans in the jug and just pour hot water on them ? How much beans to the cup please ?

I try to use 1 tablespoon of ground coffee beans for each cup of water, but I don't often take exact measurements. I like to boil the water first, remove it from the fire, then add the ground beans. Wait 5 minutes or so for it to cool and the beans to settle. Then pour off the coffee while leaving behind the beans as best as I can.
    If you search youtube for "cowboy coffee" you will find a bunch of different methods and techniques.

Cheers Bob

there is no use of similar products
    sorry

Ads