Can anyone recommend a stove top percolated

Sylvan

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
Does any one have any experience using percolates on a camping stove top please?
What types give the best results?
Cheers
Bill

TheBigDripper

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 3-cup Rapid Brew for camping (I normally go solo), and found it adequate. Percolators *must* be watched, and not allowed to boil...and mine being about the same size as the burner on my Coleman stove, I have to set it to one side (the grate really isn't suitable for this small of coffee pot), and babysit it the entire time. I'll be switching to my Wear-ever 2-cup dripolator from now on.

bcotten

Jun 22, 2012
Kernersville, NC
Visit site
Percolators generally make an inferior brew because they overextract the coffee. However, they will do when in a pinch!

Have you thought about an Aeropress or a vaccuum pot brewer? I have used both while camping and they work great. When we go camping, I use a hand grinder and an Aeropress with a cheap kettle to boil the water in. Simple.

Sylvan

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for the replies, Bcotton, I have never come across an aeropress, but I am going to have a look around for one and do some research on them, thanks ever so much for bringing them
To my attention,
I would like that experience first thing in the morning when wild camping,
Cheers again
Bill

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I have the 8 cup Ozark Trail stainless percolator that walmart sells in the camping section. It works well as a stove top percolator, but I don't think it is something I would want to pack along on a camping trip. I would just make cowboy coffee; steep coffee grounds in a cooking pot over a fire and decant the liquid. If a few grounds get stuck in your teeth, hey, that's the stuff camping is all about :)

Sylvan

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thx bob, are you saying out offer beans in the jug and just pour hot water on them ? How much beans to the cup please ?

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I try to use 1 tablespoon of ground coffee beans for each cup of water, but I don't often take exact measurements. I like to boil the water first, remove it from the fire, then add the ground beans. Wait 5 minutes or so for it to cool and the beans to settle. Then pour off the coffee while leaving behind the beans as best as I can.
If you search youtube for "cowboy coffee" you will find a bunch of different methods and techniques.