Commercial Espresso machine - La Mazzorco vs Nuova Simonelli?

Coffeeboomer

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I plan to open up a coffee bar and currently looking to buy an espresso machine, I appreciate that any one that has experience with La Mazzorco and Nuova Simonelli to give your feedback on which equipment is better, in terms of ease of use, speed, reliability and service by the vendor. Thank you.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
My shops been using Nuova Simonelli for many years. It depends on the model you choose but Nuova Simonelli is easy to fix, parts seems to be cheaper and they are built like tanks....

Coffeeboomer

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My shops been using Nuova Simonelli for many years. It depends on the model you choose but Nuova Simonelli is easy to fix, parts seems to be cheaper and they are built like tanks....

Thank you for your input, recently I have seen a lot of La Mazzorco machines in the coffee bar, as well as Nuova Simonelli, it looks like most of the new coffee bar owner prefer La Mazzorco, probably recommended by their coffee roaster.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Honestly I wouldn't choose either one. I'd go for a Cimbali first, Rancilio second and then for a Nuova Simonelli. La Marzocco had their day in the spot light. Its a good machine yes but its way to expensive to maintain. Some of the parts on that toy just make me scratch my head and say why should I pay $400 for a thermostat that most other manufactures would use a standard one that only run $75?

It boggles my mind how the SCAA influences how we see perfection. NS was willing to pay top dollar to showcase the Aurelia and thats why everyone wants one now. In a few years it will be another manufacture who will be willing to pay more then they will be the top dog. Its this way with all products in life.

Honestly I like Cimbali because they are consumer friendly. They are easy to work on and the amount of time a tech takes to rebuild 1 steam arm on a NS Aurelia the same tech can pretty much change both group gaskets as well as both steam valves on a Cimbali. Its the mundane tasks that are going to eat your profits. Do you want to pay the service guy to stand there for an hour and a half to service your machine or half an hour? Personally I'd take latter.

JessicaMaryBeans

Nov 28, 2012
Nashville, TN
Visit site
The shop I work at has always used Nuova Simonelli, the first owner bought a used NS and it lasted 11 years. The new owners recently purchased a brand new one,it's almost a year old, and we have to pay a tech (100-220) once every 4 months for a tune up and repair anything we can't figure out(which is rare). The most we've ever had to pay for a repair was $300 but that was on the first machine right before it hit the dirt.
Hope this ramble of info gets ya thinkin! :decaf:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Nuova Simonelli I have never had any problem. It worked like champ for years and recently, I needed to upgraded to 3 group... Just need more out put during the morning rush hour... In past 10 years we only had to replace just few parts.... Also I have NS Aurelia and I do most of the break down and rebuild if I need do( i have one group for out door use) not very difficult or take just few hours... I never worked on Cimbali... so can't say its easier or harder...

Coffeeboomer

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I wouldn't choose either one. I'd go for a Cimbali first, Rancilio second and then for a Nuova Simonelli. La Marzocco had their day in the spot light. Its a good machine yes but its way to expensive to maintain. Some of the parts on that toy just make me scratch my head and say why should I pay $400 for a thermostat that most other manufactures would use a standard one that only run $75?

It boggles my mind how the SCAA influences how we see perfection. NS was willing to pay top dollar to showcase the Aurelia and thats why everyone wants one now. In a few years it will be another manufacture who will be willing to pay more then they will be the top dog. Its this way with all products in life.

Honestly I like Cimbali because they are consumer friendly. They are easy to work on and the amount of time a tech takes to rebuild 1 steam arm on a NS Aurelia the same tech can pretty much change both group gaskets as well as both steam valves on a Cimbali. Its the mundane tasks that are going to eat your profits. Do you want to pay the service guy to stand there for an hour and a half to service your machine or half an hour? Personally I'd take latter.

The La Marzocco's twin tank technology and NS's special brew head technology claim to be the best in industry to maintain the most precise temperature control during the brewing process, which claim that it is very important for making good espresso. I do not know about Cimbali, but how much impact do you think these LM's twin tank and NS's brewing head technology will have in making good espresso? How many of the coffee drinker really can differentiate an "excellent" espresso drink and a "good" espresso drink? I am still drawing my plan to open up a coffee bar, any feedback from you will be very much appreciated, thanks.