grinder for non commercial

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Do you know how your customers plan to make their coffee? Do they use a drip coffee maker, French press, or espresso machine?

You may eventually want to have a variety of grinders on your shelf - including a variety of sizes, and prices.

For example, I received a small grinder as a gift about 8 years ago, and I used it quite a lot before getting the Capresso Infinity grinder. It's not expensive, and it seemed to work okay for my needs at the time. Amazon.com: KRUPS 203-42 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Rose

Last edited:

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I just purchase a KRUPS 203-42 from Amazon for about $20 and I LOVE IT! I guess it can grind about a an 8oz cup of beans. You can hit it sparingly and intermittently for the coarse of the grounds or you can ground to a fine powder for a mix. I usually do that for my hazelnut beans.

It cleans up really nice although the blade can get in the way during clean-up.

It has a 4+ rating on Amazon with over 1300 reviews. Just copy, paste and search for it on Amazon.

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Thanks so much, I will look into each one. I haven't yet started to sell my coffee, still in the learning phase, which I hope

to some extent is always the case.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I just purchase a KRUPS 203-42 from Amazon for about $20 and I LOVE IT! I guess it can grind about a an 8oz cup of beans. You can hit it sparingly and intermittently for the coarse of the grounds or you can ground to a fine powder for a mix. I usually do that for my hazelnut beans.

It cleans up really nice although the blade can get in the way during clean-up.

It has a 4+ rating on Amazon with over 1300 reviews. Just copy, paste and search for it on Amazon.

May be a cheap "option", but blade and pseudo burr "grinders" ($50 and under) are not much better than just smashing the beans with a hammer to the desired level of fineness. Many think that grinding fresh is key regardless of the grinder being used, but that isn't the case. For those looking for a cheap option the only way to go IMHO is a hand mill. Most hand mills under $50 will be on par (grind quality) with electric mills costing 2-4 times as much.

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, Your post has intrigued me Shadow745!

I have never heard of a coffee hand mill and now I must experience the pleasure or perhaps the tedious effort of grinding with a hand mill; STRICTLY, out of curiosity because I am not on a quest to create the "Absolutely Perfect Cup of Coffee". I would love to taste the "APC of C". However, I won't pine over it if I don't experience it in my life time; I do plan to jump over to eBay and look into a hand grinder to see what it's all about and for a personal education.

Now on another note and please bare with me.

Aside from the fact that the beans would not be uniform, what are the adverse effect of putting coffee beans in a Zip-Lock bag then crushing them with a hammer (in a pinch of course)? Will it really affect the flavor adversely?

CoffeeMate

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
.....I do plan to jump over to eBay and look into a hand grinder to see what it's all about and for a personal education.

OK, I'm back!

Yeah, I do remember the hand grinders and for some reason drew a blank. They look like the meat grinder that I use today.

I would still like to know what the allure is to grinding that way as oppose to electrically. It sort of suggest a sexual experience to slow grinding; perhaps that the gist because I just can't imagine the bean retaining more of its flavor because the beans are being crushed slowly and methodically. Nevertheless, I plan to find out :)

roybwilliams

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a home grinder too. Mostly for pour over and drip with a Brazen. I'm considering a Virtuoso by Baratza or maybe an Encore by Baratza. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I, also, have several hand mills. Both by Vario. I use one for camping and the other I keep at work. They have ceramic mills and they work well. I use them extensively, plus I get the added bonus of getting a work out.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I suggest a hand mill mainly because of price range. A decent hand mill for $50~ will typically grind on par with electric mills costing 2-3 times as much. To put it simply, you won't find a new electric grinder worth a damn in the $50 range. Most of that $50 is put into the motor, electrical components, aesthetics, etc. and very little in the burr quality/precision. Opposite is true with hand mills.

Hand grinding will surely minimize heat transfer, but honestly I don't think heat becomes an issue on a home level. OTOH the high RPM blade/pseudo burrs pulverizing the beans in cheap electric grinders does little to help particle uniformity/taste/aroma.

Bag/hammer method... smash away if you'd like, but the lack of particle uniformity will surely show in the brew. I'd have to believe a slow methodical approach with a mortar/pestle would surely deliver a better end result in the cup.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'm looking for a home grinder too. Mostly for pour over and drip with a Brazen. I'm considering a Virtuoso by Baratza or maybe an Encore by Baratza. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Between those two I'd definitely go for the Virtuoso. Has enough adjustability for your needs, a very good conical burr set and build quality for the price range.

For years I didn't think Baratza had much to offer, but now can say they've made HUGE strides in the grinder market. Of course their customer service has been TOP NOTCH all along and they really have plugged away for years in an effort to create the best/most affordable grinders available. Have no problem recommending them now.

petec

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have one of those blade type grinders. From reading this, I gather it is not the prefered method. Is crushing it between two precision stones the proper way?