Filter upgrade for my Krups XP3200

88irocvert

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I got a Krups XP3200 espresso machine for Christmas. It's not the most sophisticated machine but it certainly makes very decent espresso. The only thing I don't like about it is the portafilter basket has to be sort of clipped on when being emptied and it half falls out all the time. It a real pain. I'm wondering if there are any replacements/upgrades I can use for it out there. I know Krups doesn't make one per se. Any ideas?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Not familiar with your machine, but doubt there are any upgrades to address the issue you mentioned. Can you post a pic of the portafilter and basket? I've seen people use thin rubber bands and/or o-rings around the top of the basket (just below the rim) to create a tighter fit in the portafilter. My old lever machine had nothing to keep the basket in place except my finger. I'd simply wrap a towel around my thumb, hold the basket rim while gripping the portafilter handle and dump the puck.

88irocvert

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. So, in the picture here, you can see the filter. I'm holding the basket with my index finger and the clip that holds it in when dumping with my middle finger. The issue is the the "forward" (180* from the clip) part of the basket is just hanging there and kinda flops around when I try to dump the puck. What I'm looking for is anything that I can use instead. Thanks.
Filter.jpg

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
To make the basket a snug fit in the portafilter you can try a thin o-ring. As in placing it around the upper part of the basket so the basket presses into the portafilter tighter, but still allowing proper placement and function.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Some places have o-rings individually packaged, but some have them loose so you can trial fit before you buy. I'd take the basket and portafilter with me and try to find one that will provide a snug fit down into the portafilter without altering the basket depth. For that matter anything that will tighten the basket fit. Even a rubber band may work if it can handle the added heat. Most o-rings will easily handle a few hundred degrees.

88irocvert

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Excellent! Thanks. I'm still wondering if there's a product out there that'll screw into my machine in place of this filter and make this easier.

88irocvert

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, "screwing into my machine" is probably an incorrect term. What I meant was that I wish I could find another filter that's compatible with my machine that will replace the one I have and not have this problem. I know this machine is basically a "toy", but it fills my needs for now and would enjoy the experience a little more. Not a big deal. I can probably make due with the o-ring. Thanks again for your interest and help.